need help with countertops and sink, please!!

madeleine2003May 20, 2013

I have been going around & around and have spent countless hours reading the wonderful and informative posts here but I still canâÂÂt come to a decision about a LOT of things so IâÂÂm hoping for some help from all of you.

IâÂÂm refurbishing my kitchen because itâÂÂs so old and IâÂÂve always wanted a BlueStar range thanks to all of you! =) IâÂÂm leaving the current cabinetry to save some money but will be cutting out a cabinet to make room for the range and updating the pull-outs and drawers to that nice soft close stuff.

My problems are with the countertops and sink.

Countertop: Should I get granite, quartzite or soapstone. I know the pros and cons of each material but I canâÂÂt make a decision. I donâÂÂt abuse my counters, I donâÂÂt cut on them or drop things on them. I donâÂÂt have kids, itâÂÂs just 2 of us and an occasional large party. I like granite because itâÂÂs shiny & reflects light. I donâÂÂt like the speckled effect of some granites. I found a nice granite but am wondering if itâÂÂs too busy. ItâÂÂs called Gazon from Brazil. You can find a photo of it at www.gramar.com. I like quartzite but itâÂÂs so expensive! I thought Princess white was absolutely gorgeous, especially with all the little tiny blue & green âÂÂgemsâÂÂ. I found a really cool soapstone called Green Iron but IâÂÂm concerned about the patina over time. Will it be too dark in my dark kitchen in the future.

Countertop color: this is also a big issue⦠should I get white, grey, yellow/gold, black, greenâ¦. What?? I have no clue.

Sink: Should I get a Franke fireclay farmhouse in white or a Rachiele farmhouse copper sink? What color countertop would it go best with in my dark kitchen to match?

Here are the âÂÂfactsâÂÂ:
My kitchen is dark. It doesnâÂÂt have a window because itâÂÂs in the center of the house.
We always turn the lights on when we go in the kitchen �" day & night, summer & winter.
There are 3 transom window about 20 feet up that receives light from the north.
There are 3 large movie set type of canned lights up there, too and lots of recessed lighting but it still seems dark with the lights on.
The cabinets are a medium brown with lots of grain.
Floors are wood.
All the appliances are stainless steel.

Here is a picture of the southeast facing wall. Oddly enough it looks like there is plenty of light but all the lights are on & there is the flash from the camera. This photo has been photoshopped just so I could see what the kitchen may look like so the sink & SS dishwasher really arenâÂÂt there or the ones IâÂÂm getting. But youâÂÂll get the basic idea what the kitchen looks like.

Thank you all for helping out!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Bridget Helm

i would get rid of the overhead cabinets to let some light in from the patio doors in the adjacent room. are you going to paint your cabinets or leave them as is?

i think that you should paint the cabinets to brighten the space

the gazon granite would coordinate nicely but it's so heavy with the dark cabinets for a room with no natural light. you could paint the cabs cream to go with the gazon granite.

Ivory fantasy granite would look nice with your stain color but isn't so heavy if you really want to leave the stain

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
Fridge against wall
I'm looking at a plan and the refrigerator is placed...
tammyte
Need blackish paint suggestions
We have assembled most of our Barker cabs. The wall...
aktillery9
Sponsored Products
Jason K3260 Tub
Modern Bathroom
SPT 19-bottle Under Counter Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
Winners Only Horizon 32 in. File Pedestal - Brown Cherry - GHK232F1
$448.00 | Hayneedle
Whitehaus WHNCMAP3321G Stainless Steel Sink Protection Grid for WHNCMAP3321
$129.00 | Blue Bath
Irwin Flatweave Runner 2'3" x 8' - AZURE
$219.00 | Horchow