Adding Ducts or just vent to basement
Well after 2 years we ALMOST had our new trane system heat pump installed....thats when the dealer became, shall we say, unrepsonsive.
I have a backup dealer and they are coming out with a contract though. One thing I need to decide is ducting for the basement that we are slowly finishing. The 'new' installer has a little bit different philosphy on this so I need some input.
I am finishing my basement, 750 sq ft; adding inslualtion and a ceiling. We currently have no heat down there. It got as low as 52 this year. Today its around 60. I doubt it ever gets above 67 in the summer, if that....not sure though. We are putting in a 3T unit for our 20 year old 2200 sq ft colonial. That should allow for a few ducts/vents in the basement I am told. Consensus has been adding some ducts/vents down there should have an impact but even after insulation and finsishing the basement, it still may need some electric baseboards here and there to take the chill off. I am ok with this. My thought was to add a few ducts/vents and see what happens.
Well, now I need to decide what to do since I am at a point where they will be coming to do the install AND I am ready to box in my main duct lines.
Add about 4 ducts and a return. These would branch off the main, have dampers and eventually release the air thru my dropped ceiling. I am looking at an additoal $400 - $500 for this. This would seem to need to be done now, before I box anything in. I'd likely want to keep the return closed until I was done working down there so as to keep dust out of the rest of the house.
Simply add vents to the main duct line, 2 - 4. Possible add a return too. Cost here is likely $100 or less; I was told I could almost do this my self, even after boxing in the main.
I hate to spend $500 to run ducts off the main if, in reality it will not make much more difference than simply adding a few vents to the main. Also, I may need to close these in the summer if it gets too cold down there so the less to remember to open/close the better. Also, is there any 'added' monthly cost to do it one way or another?
Thanks...I sort of need to make a decision today so do not be shy!