Condensate pump running

jleiwigApril 29, 2008

Hello. I recently moved into a "new" old house and when you turn on the heat, the AC condensate pump runs continuously. I'm guessing by everything I've read that the float in the pump is stuck. It appears to be a little giant pump, but I haven't pulled it out to get the make or model off of it.

My question is this. Is there a way to wire it so that it only comes on when the selector is switched to AC? I can't imagine a reason why it would be needed for the heat. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

It may be needed for a condensate producing furnace or humidifier while heating.

They are simple to check and clean, 4 screws and top comes off.

Many times installers shove tubing used as drains into the pump holes that bind the float, check that first.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:04AM
jleiwig

I don't think I have a condensate producing furnace. There is definitely no humidifier.

I'll try cleaning it first and checking the tubing. It's wedged behind the water heater so it's difficult to get to, but do-able.

Thanks,

Justin

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 12:15PM
heimert

Does your furnace vent up a chimney or out the wall? If it's high efficiency using through-the-wall venting it will produce condensate that needs to be drained periodically.

the pump shouldn't run constantly--that's a pump problem that won't be solved by wiring it differently. FWIW, replacements cost less than $100 generally and you can install yourself if you're mildly handy.

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 3:05PM
ctbosox

Justin, I think you should clean out the pump, they have tablets you can drop in to keep them cleaner. The pump running constant is going to burn itself out.

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™