'eye of partridge' heel question

love2knitMarch 28, 2009

This is my third pair of socks, first time using "eye of partridge" heel flap. That went fine, I turned the heel, and now picking up stitches for the gusset, on one side there just aren't enough stitches to pick up! The other side is fine - the right number of stitches can easily be picked up.

What went wrong? This didn't happen before. Please don't tell me I have to rip it out? (sobs)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Well, how many stitches are you off? If it's only 1 or 2, I say don't sweat it and just pick up a couple extra or knit 2 together a couple of times on the other side.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:28PM
love2knit

Nope, there are about half as many slipped stitches on one side.

I think what happened is that with the eye of partridge stitch pattern I was using, every other knit row ends with a slipped stitch, and since all rows start with a slipped stitch, that side has a longer stitch. Does that make sense? I wish I could take a picture.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 8:13PM
donna_loomis

I understand what you are saying, and maybe there is more than one way to make an eye of partridge heel, but a quick search brought up this "pattern" for the heel and it doesn't have any rows that end with a slipped stitch. All rows do start with a slipped stitch, though, and that should keep the number of stitches on each side consistent. If I were you, I would tink or rip back and begin the heel again.

Here is a link that might be useful: eye of partridge heel

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 11:23PM
sandra_ferguson

Thanks for the site, Donna....I LOVE the way those heel flaps look. I'm sure goinna use this on my next pair of socks.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 1:41PM
love2knit

You know the saying, "when all else fails, read the directions?" Well, I RE-read the directions and what I had missed the first time was that row 3 ends with K2!!!!! So my socks are ripped back to the beginning of the heel flaps and I'll start again, sadder but wiser.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™