Knit Log Cabin Baby Quilt

donna_loomisMarch 20, 2008

Well, I finally got this thing done! Gave it to the expectant mommy last sunday. I don't know what I was thinking, but I made enough of those squares to make at least two more of the blankets. I will see what I can do to make them just a little bit different.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

How pretty! Bet it took you a long time to do. But it's well worth it.

Tami

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 6:19PM
mommytomany

What a beautiful job!

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 5:58AM
suebdoo

Donna_Loomis what a beautiful quilt you made.
I love it.

Sue

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 12:08PM
msmeow

Donna, it's really pretty! Snuggly, too.

Donna

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 12:16PM
foggyj

Beautiful. You have such talent. (and patience!) She's a lucky recipient.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 8:20PM
imabest

Donna that is really pretty makes an old lady wish she was a kid again..
Oh to wrap up in a nice blanket and sleep those were the good ole days!!!!!!!!!! h ugs to you Kathy

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 1:16PM
FLYONAWALL

Beautiful job Donna!

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 8:36AM
last_mango

Donna - That is great! Thanks for posting on my thread, this is exactly the type of quilt I was thinking about. I've searched all over the internet and here it was! Ha. I even browsed the gallery here, but didn't see anything - guess I didn't search here for "quilt", though.

You did a beautiful job and I love the colors you picked!!

Did you follow a pattern? If so, could you tell me where you got it? Did you sew the squares together or knit them together?

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 6:57AM
donna_loomis

Mango, I got my inspiration from the website I am linking to. Instead of starting with a rectangle, I started with a square 7 stitches wide, making 6 garter ridges and binding off on the right side. Then I picked up 7 stitches with the next color and knit 6 more garter ridges, bound off, but didn't cut the yarn. I turned the work clockwise and picked up 14 stitches along the side edge, knitted 6 more ridges, then bound off and cut the yarn. Turned the work clockwise, with the next color, picked up 14 stitches, knit 6 ridges, bind off (not cutting the yarn), turned the work clockwise, picked up 21 stitches. You get the idea.

When the squares were done I arranged them the way I wanted (there are lots of possibilities), picked up one of the squares and picked up (in this case, 35) stitches along the edge that would meet the next square, knitted 6 ridges, placed the next square with the right side to the right side of the square I was knitting and bound off, going through a stitch on the extra square right along with the stitches on my needle. After I had 4 squares put together this way, I made 4 more strips like it. Then I picked up stitches along a long edge of one strip, knit 6 ridges, then bound off, going through the stitches of another strip along with the stitches on my needle. Then I knit a garter stitch border all around, increasing at the corners and adding a simple crochet shell.

Here is a link that might be useful: log cabin directions

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 11:51PM
last_mango

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions and link (I'll print them and go check the link out next). I really like the way your blanket turned out - it's very pretty. Old fashioned, yet contemporary :-) Thanks for the inspiration, too.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™