Heat Pump noise levels

bookgalApril 16, 2011

Where can I find information on the noise level of various brands of heat pumps? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyg

The manufacturers list decibal ratings for their condensers (outdoor units). Noise coming out from the ductwork vents is a whole different issue.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 12:32PM
jrdwyer

Our Carrier heat pump is now 10 years old. The outdoor unit was very quiet when first installed, but weather and age lead to rattles. I cut thin strips of rubber to act as bushings/washers to silence the rattles between metal/metal or plastic/metal connections (grill/body panels). Our Silencer system is now silent again.

We replaced the indoor air handler at the same time as the outdoor unit. I specifically wanted a quiet fan because our old one was loud. The A/C guy sold me on the single stage, variable speed unit and he also installed a sound deadening baffle where the air handler connects to the old metal duct work. In addition, the unit sits on rubber bushings on the concrete floor.

It works well, especially the way it slowly ramps up to speed, and is generally quiet. The only time it will make a loud noise is in the winter if you set your thermostat really low at night and then the metal ducts will pop in the early morning due to the higher thermostat setting coming on. We solved this problem by only dropping the temp 2 degrees at night for better sleeping/economy. Heat pumps tend to work best with small changes in demanded temperature. We also have the electric strip backup, but it rarely comes on.

It's been a great system, and I hope it lasts 20 years.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 2:52PM
bookgal

Great info thanks!

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 8:30AM
xracer

no matter how quiet the salesman tells you their heat pump is never install it near a main bedroom.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Can a house and cottage share a condenser?
I have a house (1000sf) and cottage (440sf) with about...
aptosca
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™