A/C placement

kentannenbaumApril 19, 2012

We have an enclosed space under a staircase which borders an outside wall on one side and the living room on the other. There's a full height door to it.

I'd like to plumb an A/C through the exterior wall and duct it across the 3.5 ft width into the living room. Is there a reason to think it's a bad idea to have the A/C in the enclose space?

Thanks, Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heatseeker

where will all the displaced heat go? have you talked with a contractor about this or did you purchase your own equipment? I wouldn,t imagine a contractor recommending a space like that for your unit. If he did time for a new one.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:27AM
kentannenbaum

The A/C would be plumbed through an outside wall in the same way it would be mounted in a window. I guess my question has to do with whether ducting off the front of an A/C makes sense if the duct is running a short distance, about 4ft.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:49AM
heatseeker

are you talking about a window unit?

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:07AM
kentannenbaum

Yes. A window unit I have not purchased yet. I installed an exterior door where one did not exist...which is more complicated then putting a sleeve through an exterior wall. Anyway, as I've thought about this, I've concluded that I've wasted a few people's time on the subject and apologize for that. Perhaps the inquiry will help others. Thanks very much.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:09AM
brickeyee

The fan in a window unit is not designed to work through ANY duct.

They are designed for the intake filter and coil loss in the unit, and enough to then blow air a short distance into the room through the louvers on the unit.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:34AM
heatseeker

When posting declare the type of equipment in the OP so we are not guessing as to what in the world you're talking about.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:43AM
ionized_gw

You could make something like this work with some flex duct and in-line blowers. The question is would it be worth it?

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™