Is it possible to correct this with a 'vertical fix'?

bayareafrancyMarch 24, 2009

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the following repair is possible:

I am making a raglan sweater (knit flat--not in the round). I finished the back (luckily it is the back). When I did the neck decreases, I did the SSK's wrong. I slipped them purlwise, which ending up making them a "knit 2 tog through the back." (While I was doing them, I kept thinking "hmmmm, how is this any different from knitting them together through the back." LOL!"

The result is a sloppy zig zagging decrease that isn't a nice match for the ktogs.

I don't plan to fix it. It is the backside of a kid's sweater. It will get stretched a bit when the sweater is assembled. This is my first sweater, so it will have lots of other mistakes as well.

But I am curious about it. Would it be possible to do a vertical fix for this? You know, climb down the ole ladder, undo the incorrect decrease, and then fix it. Do that...uh...13 times. Would that work? Sometimes vertical fixes are possible, and sometimes (for reasons I am not clear on) they are not possible. Which type of situation is this?

Thanks!

:-)

Francy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OklaMoni

I don't see how you could go down and fix that, cause you are talking about boo boos outside of the current stitches on your needles.

Moni

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 8:47PM
bayareafrancy

Ah--that would be a problem! Wondering what would happen...

If I ever have time, it would be interesting to make a swatch, and then try to undo the incorrect decreases.

francy

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 2:05AM
tripleflex

If you're going to do something right, rip it out and re knit it correctly. Making something with blatant mistakes just because you're new at it isn't going to help you learn.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 7:11AM
bayareafrancy

Actually, I have learned the most from mistakes--both accidental and intentional (so I can play with them). This mistake led me to learn about many possible increaes and decreases and how they can be used together, and for different purposes.

The opening part of the book "Knit Fix" is about knitting philosophy. The author asks, " How do you decide when to fix a mistake? Whose sweater is it, anyhow? Do you think anyone will notice? If they do, would you mind?"

This particular mistake isn't a "big deal" mistake for me at all. The 2 decreases look similar enough to coincide in the back, at a seam, on a "rough and tumble" sweater that will be getting hard sandbox and tree climbing wear.

Lots of room in the knitting world for different philosophies! Some things I fuss over (like a special gift for a friend), some things I don't.

francy

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:45PM
love2knit

Francy, I like your philosophy! When I realized the picot hem was crooked on part of one of my socks, I had already knit too much to want to rip it out, so I just made that the back of the sock. Who will see it? Not even me, when I'm wearing them, and the rest of it is fine.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™