marble or not!!!!!

tarak123January 16, 2014

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and I absolutely love the look of marble for my center island. My cabinets are close to a Dove White and I've chose enhanced brushed black graninte for my cabinets on the perimeter of my kitchen. For my island my cabinets are a dark walnut (really dark brown) so I was thinking of doing a marble on my island, but have been told by soooo many people not to!! That it's impossible to maintain especially with children. For those who have chosen Marble for their kitchen do you have many regrets? And what are the issues I'll have to worry about? is it really that terrible to have it in my kitchen with two young kids? I just cant seem to find another stone that gives me a similar look. THanks in advance and feedback for greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrice607

I put marble in my bathroom (used by 3 teens) It was a mistake. There are marks all over it. If you decide to go for it, suggest a honed - not shiny - finish.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 10:20PM
MrsShayne

I love love love the looks of marble but it also scares me, it's not cheap so to pay that much and have to worry about stains, etching, yellowing etc, I wouldn't chance it. I'd choose something that mocks it...

Bookmark   February 8, 2015 at 8:46PM
huango

I'm not going to sugar-coat it.

The first 2 years of "waiting for it to patina" was rather difficult, with each new etch digging into my heart a bit more and more.

But I think I'm past that hurdle, where I no longer run around making sure I cut lemon on the wooden peninsula, instead of the marble; or clearing up the marble countertop every minute afraid of missing a spot, or questioning HOW this new scratch came about...

Right now, my countertop is not cleared off, and I'm okay with it.

I have 2 kids, now 10 and 9, who are now "allowed" to use the marble countertop.

I have 23ft of Vt Danby HONED marble.

I'm accepting each and every etch, and just enjoying the beauty and benefits of the marble (we roll a lot of pizza dough and pie dough, etc).

When we were researching, we just couldn't find a countertop material that sing so beautifully as this marble. Anything else would have been a large compromise/let-down.

Do what makes you happy.

Just note that your first etches WILL hurt.

Amanda

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 10:30AM
scw1997
I'm with Amanda. We have honed carrara on the perimeter of our kitchen, and it etches like crazy (but staining has not been an issue). But I've stopped worrying about it and I think it still looks as beautiful as ever. It's a natural material that patinas, but the overall look is amazing and I love it. (Fwiw I do have some counters in my kitchen which are quartz, and where I do most of the work that could potentially really stain).
    Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 11:07AM
Debbi Branka

I have 11 feet of island with honed marble. It has etches all over. No stains. Stains haven't been a problem at all. Only etching. I love my marble. It's my favorite thing in the house. The etches are very clear at an angle in the light, but not so much looking straight on. I cook. I use my counters. My adult kids aren't very careful. And my pre-teen and toddler grandkids obviously aren't careful. The only thing I don't do on my marble is cut without a cutting board (I will do that on my granite occasionally). If you love it, get it.

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 11:50AM
Debbi Branka

Oh, just a thought. We just bought super white for our basement bathroom vanity top. They say it's granite. There are MANY threads on here about super white and how it isn't really granite and it etches, etc. I brought home a huge chunk of the super white to test it. Nothing, not even lemon juice, etched it. It's only been installed for about 6 weeks, but if I were re-doing my kitchen and decided not to use my statuary marble, this would definitely be on my counters!

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
My finished kitchen
This is my second kitchen remodeled with the kind assistance...
jerzeegirl
almost done & sharing banquette pics
Dh and I are on the "who knows when" plan...
lawjedi
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
palimpset....and others....kitch cabs, dark AND light?
what about light maple upper cabinets and dark lower...
mainewire
Sponsored Products
Avanity MODERO-VS72-WT-B Modero 72-Inch Floor Standing Vanity Combo in White
Blue Bath
Adagio Deep Creek Falls Fountain w/ Green Featherstone in Rustic Copper Finish
SerenityHealth
Myrtus Tissue Box Holder - Whirl Green Marble - BA01-5WG
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Home Lamps Hobart 31 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp 21006ORB
Home Depot
Acker Cocktail Table Gold
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
Ambella Home Collection - Martinique Medium Sink Chest -...
Great Furniture Deal
Bow Bronze Three-Light Bath Bar w/ 7-Inch White Marble Glass
$297.00 | Bellacor
Orleans Oil Rubbed Bronze Six-Light Chandelier
$187.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™