knitting perpetual socks

gabriell_gwFebruary 7, 2010

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one constantly knitting socks.I always have one in my purse.I detest sitting in a waiting room and wasteing time. Knitting a sock is such a comforting thing. It is amazing the comments people make.The other day a woman said she knows that not many people knit anymore.That it's a dying art. I assured her that was not the case.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Socks are great because they are so portable, and you can't make too many of them.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 11:04PM
sandra_ferguson

I was recently hospitalized and my husband (wise man that he is), brought me my pjs, book AND current knitting..socks.
At one point I was having a stress test and my family were in the waiting room, when a woman came into the waiting room and said to her friend "there's some woman down the hall knitting socks...and on 4 needles!!!! (it was, in reality, 5 needles). Our daughter, Chris, said "I'll bet you that was my mother", feeling fairly sure there weren't 2 of us awaiting a chemical stress test, knitting socks!!! People are always very impressed with anything on multiple needles.....another thing that impresses the heck out of people is gloves. One year people on my Xmas list got a scarf, hat and pair of gloves, and I didn't tell them that the gloves were dead easy...if they want to be impressed, who am I to say no! lol

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 4:17PM
tami_ohio

Sandra, I hope your tests came out fine. I do my socks on one long circular, in the magic loop method. I am forever dropping my double points or pull the stitches off of one. I haven't tried gloves, yet. Maybe some day, I'll get up the courage to try them!

Tami

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 5:16PM
gabriell_gw

I think I might like to try gloves.I love giving handmade gifts at Christmas.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 12:56AM
sandra_ferguson

Tami Ohio......I have a very rare cardiac problem called Prinzmetal Angina that was finally diagnosed at the wonderful Cleveland Clinic, 2 years ago. Hopefully I'll be able to get back there soon, to see if there is anything 'new' being tried. Thanks for asking.
Gabriell, do try gloves. They are really easy, like a mitten you then add fingers to....each one knitted separately like little tubes. There is little real knitting in a glove, if you think about it...you just need to be comfortable with double pointed needles.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 1:58PM
tami_ohio

Sandra, if you do get to come back to the Cleveland Clinic, please email me! I'm not that far from Cleveland, and would be happy to meet you somewhere!

Tami

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™