grafting

susan_onFebruary 18, 2007

I'm making socks, which are turning out nicely. But I would like to know how to graft the toe end so that it looks good. Mine never seem to turn out that smooth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Susan, I never seem to be happy with my toes either, and that is why I resorted to making my socks toe up. They look lovely that way and you feel absolutely no seam. But I would probably say that the following way worked for best for me grafting the toe:

With an equal number of stitches on two dpns (usually 8), cut yarn, leaving about 12 inches length. Slip stitches onto a 3rd needle, alternating between stitches of one needle, then the other, until all stitches are on one needle.
Bind off: Using crochet hook, & beginning at end opposite yarn strand, pull 2nd stitch through 1st stitch, continuing across row, pulling yarn strand through last stitch. Pull to inside of sock, darn through a few stitches.
Split plies of yarn and weave each separately through several stitches.

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 9:50PM
susan_on

Thanks Donna. Do you do that on the inside of the sock or the outside?

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 9:37AM
mirren

Hi - Go to google - type in mini knitting lessons. I think it will be second item that pops up. Open that and scroll down. It has pictures and tells you exactly how to graft a toe. I have knit dozens of socks and I always have to refer to that site to do the toes. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 10:24AM
donna_loomis

Susan, I do that on the outside. You might want to make sure that your last row before binding off is a bit loose.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 11:07AM
Zipper_TX

I use kitchener stitch this site has pictures along with the information for doing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchener stitch

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 11:59AM
susan_on

Thanks so much, everyone. I used the kitchener stich and it looks fantastic! I never thought I could make such a nice looking sock (now for the other one). I really appreciate the help.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 5:10PM
cherbo

I recently learned the kitchener stitch too (using the link zipper suggested). It's kind of fun once you learn it.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™