knitting question

gakernilFebruary 7, 2011

i have been making knit hats with double knitting worsted, 10-1/2 needles on 85 stitches in ribbing. would like to do a single strand of knitting worsted but wondering how many stitches to cast on, what size needles to end up with the dimensions of the 85 stitches i have been using. anyone have any thoughts for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Each person's gauge is different. Nobody can answer this question for you. You will need to experiment by casting on and making a swatch and comparing it with a hat you did with the double knitting worsted and see if it comes out the same, and then either add or decrease the number of stitches until you get it right. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I would be surprised if anyone else could either.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lindsey_CA

I've made lots of hats with worsted weight - using only one strand of yarn. I use a k2,p2 ribbing. I'm thinking it was a size 8 needle... I use circulars because I hate sewing the seams. So you just keep going 'round and 'round on the k2,p2 until it gets to the right length, then start the decrease rows, switching to DPNs when necessary.

If you don't already have a "membership" at Bernat yarns, go to the web site and sign up. It's free, with no obligations of any kind. They have a lot of free patterns that you can download if you are signed in. The pattern that "got me started" on knitting hats is the one they show using their Denimstyle yarn. That pattern is written for straight needles, then sewing the seam when done. I did that once - hated the seam, so I've always used circulars since then.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™