heat shield on ducting

girlprogrammerMarch 29, 2014

I have a bamboo floor that keeps gapping above the heat ducting that runs below it. Does anybody have a suggestions of a heat shield that I could wrap the ducting with in hopes of stopping the gapping?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

I guess you have an unfinished basement.

Depending on how much space you have, you could use one of the high efficiency polystyrene boards - I'm a huge fan of ISOboard, it's got a very high R-value per inch. I'm not sure if it's rated for direct contact with hvac ducting - heat makes plastics brittle over time (which is why we put a pad of insulation between electrical wires and hvac and dryer ducts.

If it's tighter, convention would be to use ordinary wall-type insulation, and tuck it between floor and duct. Better yet would be to use Rockwool which is used between floors for soundproofing and fire-rating. It's much more dense.

As an additional layer, you could use the mylar foil-bubble wrap stuff immediately under the floor (again, I don't think it's rated for duct contact, I don't know. It's reflective, so combined with one of the others it might help.

I've heard bamboo flooring can be a problem with low humidity, have you checked your humidity levels?

I'd also talk to the manufacturers of the flooring and check what they say about installation. If your ducting is correctly installed and not leaking (you should wrap the joints with the appropriate foil (not 'duct tape') then the flooring should not do that.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™