Low Air Flow from vents

apewranglerMarch 1, 2012

My house is only a year and half old. I have two separate heat pump units, including a 3 ton unit that runs the master suite and most of the daily living area and a 2 ton unit that runs the spare bedroom area. Back last summer, I put a programmable stat on the 3 ton unit to save some energy. It performed very well here in the deep south with sweltering summers. Winter rolled around, and it took me a while to get the stat set up properly for heat, but eventually got it working. We have had a very mild winter, and haven't really needed the heat too much, but I noticed it seemed it had to be on a lot to keep up. The last couple days, it's been warm enough to fire up the AC. It ran all night and really didn't cool at all. I did some investigating today, and I noticed that the air feel cool, but the volume is maybe 25% of what it's been previously. I even hooked up the original stat, but got the same result. I'm really confused and frustrated. Everything seems to be running like it should, but the air flow isn't there. I also change the filters regular. Meanwhile, the other unit is cooling like a charm. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Try removing the filter and see if that increases the air flow. If it does then you are using a filter which is too restrictive.

Do you have any flexible duct work? Check to see if any ducts have collapsed or have become disconnected.

Is this a two-stage heat pump? If yes then if may only be operating in the first stage. You may have not reconnected the thermostat wiring correctly when you made the switch. You may also have a thermostat which does work with two stage equipment.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltidawg

apewrangler,

a basic question. Is your HP when cooling maintaining the set temperature?

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™