Morse Code or Braille monogram

sheilajoyce_gwFebruary 9, 2008

It occurred to me today that it would be quite easy to knit or crochet a child's initial or name in Morse Code or Braille on the front or back of a sweater. Never thought of that before. I think I would make the Morse Code dots and dashes in purl stitches against a knit side of the stockinette pattern. In crochet, you could play around with clusters or popcorn stitch. I guess you could knit popcorn stitches for dots too. Anyone ever done this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_ferguson

No...never even considered it.....I knit the name in different colored yarn, or sometimes in knit stitches in a band of pearl stitches. Personally, I think, as there is no symmetry to a name, a bunch of different letters, portrayed in just knit stitches or popcorns, would not be recognizable as the Morse code representative of a name, ... and just look random and
unsymmetrical....

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I remember my brother memorizing the Morse Code as a kid so he could send messages on his telegraph key. He was really into radio stuff, and built them from scratch. Became an electrical engineer. I guess kids don't memorize the code any longer, do they?

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™