Morse Code or Braille monogram

sheilajoyce_gwFebruary 9, 2008

It occurred to me today that it would be quite easy to knit or crochet a child's initial or name in Morse Code or Braille on the front or back of a sweater. Never thought of that before. I think I would make the Morse Code dots and dashes in purl stitches against a knit side of the stockinette pattern. In crochet, you could play around with clusters or popcorn stitch. I guess you could knit popcorn stitches for dots too. Anyone ever done this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_ferguson

No...never even considered it.....I knit the name in different colored yarn, or sometimes in knit stitches in a band of pearl stitches. Personally, I think, as there is no symmetry to a name, a bunch of different letters, portrayed in just knit stitches or popcorns, would not be recognizable as the Morse code representative of a name, ... and just look random and
unsymmetrical....

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I remember my brother memorizing the Morse Code as a kid so he could send messages on his telegraph key. He was really into radio stuff, and built them from scratch. Became an electrical engineer. I guess kids don't memorize the code any longer, do they?

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™