how to make this

laurenjayFebruary 2, 2008

I've been knitting some projects using more than one color. I saw this throw pillow and would like to copy it. It is knitted. I know how to change colors but I don't know how to make designs that slant irregularly. Does it involve increasing and decreasing in the middle of a row?

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/collection.do?method=get&id=91914949&cat=33

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

This piece appears to use the method known as "short rows". It involves knitting to a certain part of the piece (not the end of the row), slipping a stitch, wrapping it, then slipping the stitch back onto the left needle, turning and knitting back the other way.

I probably made that sound more difficult than it really is. Run a search for short rows and I'm sure you will find it explained much better than I can do.

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 8:00PM
dragonfly_

It appears to me that the pillow is knitted with a technique called intarsia See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intarsia

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 6:26AM
laurenjay

I am familiar with intarsia. This pillow looks like there is some kind of shaping involved. Intarsia has zigzagged line. This looks like some lines are curved and rounded. I don't know how to do this.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 12:52PM
donna_loomis

Many people will think I am mistaken in assuming that this piece uses the technique of short rows, since they think of it as a technique for sock heels or other shaping. But I really think short rows is the correct answer here. I am supplying a link to a DIY episode in which short rows were used to make a backgammon board. It is a totally flat piece, but still uses this technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: short rows

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 2:58PM
laurenjay

I think you are on to something with the short row technique. Now I have to find a tutorial where I could learn to do it. Do you know of any good knitting books where this is explained?

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 3:10PM
donna_loomis

I am out of town this weekend and do not have access to my books, but I found a couple of videos on YouTube, by Cat Bordhi.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVikAvPuE4

and

Here is a link that might be useful: part 2

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 3:35PM
peaches12345

I have made a cape and a ruffled scarf totally using short rows. It is not difficult, just takes a little practice, and is a good technique to know as many patterns call for short rows. Just google 'knitting short rows' and you will find a lot of good instruction sites.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 10:03AM
dragonfly_

Here is a free intarsia pillow pattern. It is not the same design as what you are looking for however, it give you an idea of how it is knitted.
I am interested in seeing some short row patterns that would be similar to this. Please post links if you can find them.
Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Intarsia Pillow

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™