Ribbon yarns

ilanaeid_mdFebruary 21, 2007

I bought yarn for a new project today, including ribbon yarn. At $11 a skein (and needing 4 skeins!), I started thinking about the ribbon yarns I see at Joann's/Michael's for half that price. Is there a difference? Is it worth the price to buy the designer yarns?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_Ann

I can't really tell you for sure, as I'm not the most experienced knitter, but I know I've bought some yarns at the craft stores and have been happy with them. I've stayed away from things that look like really low end yarns. For something like a scarf, that I'll probably be tired of in a few years and that won't get a lot of hard use, I figure the less expensive craft store yarns are fine. I did buy some expensive high-end yarn from a yarn shop today for a poncho but I intend to wear it awhile and often, so I figured it was worth it... plus I couldn't find a less expensive yard that I liked as well.

I'll be interested to see if others have had bad experiences with the craft store yarns, but so far they've worked fine for me.

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 12:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilanaeid_md

I went to Joann's to look at ribbon yarns. Like the more expensive ones, their stuff was 100% nylon. The difference that I could see was the dye. The more expensive ribbon seemed richer and more homemade (that being a good thing.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Lined Mittens
I am knitting my first pair of mittens. Have not knitted...
colorcrazy
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™