are MEP engineers necessary?

daviddjMarch 2, 2013

We are building a around a 3000 sf/ft custom home and our architect is insisting on using an outside MEP engineer to design our systems. I'm not even exactly sure what a MEP engineer does. Pretty much everything I've found online mentions MEP for large commercial buildings. She said MEP services will be around $10,000 so we were wondering what our options are if we decide not to go with an MEP?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fsq4cw

You might engage your architect in a frank conversation asking her what she is trying to achieve by hiring these professionals and what the benefits to you will be. It may be prudent if you are installing systems like in-floor radiant throughout the house or incorporating other new, green, energy efficient technologies with advanced controls.

SR

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:44AM
brickeyee

Mechanical, Plumbing. Electrical.

Not really that important on a typically sized residential job.

Even designers now how big to make wet walls and how to place them.

Mechanical often devolves into HVAC.

Unless you are planing a VERY large house the trade guys at a decent size company can do fine

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:43AM
energy_rater_la

sounds like architect is passing liability onto
MPE.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:54PM
daviddj

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This is not a large home so we thought it was an unnecessary expense. We are looking into whole home radiant heat, wouldn't the manufactures provide support for their systems?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 6:15PM
brickeyee

"We are looking into whole home radiant heat, wouldn't the manufactures provide support for their systems?"

Possibly at some level, but it sounds like the architect is not familiar and does not want the sole liability.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 3:03PM
SnidelyWhiplash

I'd think this is something a licensed HVAC contractor does to spec a job bid? Maybe not where you're located. Where is the house being built?

For $10k, I'd tell your architect you want three bids. Ask her to give you the relevant information and then you get the other two. Also, talk to a couple of well regarded HVAC contractors in the area who do the kind of systems you want, see how they operate in these circumstances.

There's enough monkey business that goes on in the construction world, I'd not dismiss the suggestion but I'd also not accept it immediately either.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™