Would You Eat This?

demicentDecember 22, 2005

My husband received two Krakus canned hams from his employer. The cans read, "Keep Refrigerated", so they are not pasteurized or shelf stable hams.

The hams sat on the office floor at room temperature for four days prior to him receiving them.

What do you think? Roll the microorganism roulette wheel? Or trash them? I looked around on the internet and what I found made me think that they were trash.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitchdesj

The Cooking forum people are pretty good about things like that; I personally am distrustful of situations like that and tend to trash easily.
You could try to contact the fabricator.

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 6:37PM
glaserberl

I googled Krakus Ham a little bit and found a couple of importer sites. One of them said, " shipped refrigerated" and the other one "shipping and storage 0 to 6 C (32 to 42 F)". I wouldn't risk it and toss it.
Katharina

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 7:14AM
Ariadni6

I agree. I would definately not eat them.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 7:52AM
meskauskas

Toss it. I've had severe food poisoning, and it's not worth the price of a canned ham.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 9:34AM
sweeby

What about notifying the person who gave out the hams so he can notify the other recipients? If they were supposed to have been refrigerated all along and haven't been, many others could be at risk...

On the other hand, it seems odd to 'can' something that then requires refrigeration prior to opening. Possible certainly, but I've never heard of it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 11:09AM
demicent

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts. Yes, my husband got right on the Nextel and called the other folks who got some of the hams.

It's not like his employer bought them and then handed them out company wide, thank goodness. It's just a few hams that arrived along with all the chocolate, fruit baskets, liquor, etc as gifts from contractors and such. The secretary saw "canned hams" and didn't read the boxes which were marked "must be refrigerated" so they sat on the floor for a few days.

I do hate to throw away food. We have an old refrigerator in our garage, and sometimes in winter it freezes up - which causes it to stop working. I lost a bunch of ostrich and buffalo patties that way. They still SMELLED OK but I wasn't willing to risk it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 11:33AM
Bizzo

demicent, I have been known to stretch storage and refrigerator limits, but I'm with you all here... this one I wouldn't risk. Kudos to your husband for alerting the others, as well.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 11:41AM
mahatmacat1

Yep, risk/benefit analysis...think of it that way and it's pretty clear.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 12:09PM
demicent

Oh HAHA, I typed Buffalo Patties. That makes me think of Buffalo Chips. I might burn em, but I wouldn't eat em. I meant meat patties of course.

Although I have no idea what Ostrich droppings are called.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 2:25PM
pecanpie

Hmm. How about sending them to Sue36's next door nightmares- er, neighbors?

Just a little HamGram to say hello!

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 9:47PM
sherilynn

LOLOLOL. Pecanpie, she might get sued or arrested for poisoning, malicious hospitality, or attempted murder! One just never knows.... =]

Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™