stitch markers are way overpriced

glad2gardenFebruary 20, 2007

Hi all, I'm just amazed at the price of a tiny little bag of plastic stitch markers. Over $6! Why are these little plastic things so much money??? I'm using safety pins to mark my crochet rounds. The markers from the store would be handier, but there's no way I'm paying that much!!!

Victoria

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Victoria, you're absolutely right. They are way overpriced. Why? Because they are a specialty item. Crochet stitch markers are a bit different than the closed rings I use for knitting. You can buy very inexpensive "bone" rings (really plastic) in several different sizes at craft and sewing stores. They are used in making curtains. I recently bought a bag of 100 3/4" black rubber rings at ebay for just a couple of dollars. They are sold as something that is used in paint ball. I haven't looked, but I've been told that you can also buy something like that at your local hardware store. The split rings may be a little more difficult to find, but if you keep an open mind, the possibilities are out there.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 2:40PM
threejsmom

What kind did you get? The Clovers are from Japan and really expensive. I've used the 40% off coupons from AC Moore when I want those. Usually I get Susan Bates because I prefer flat ones and they're much cheaper. You can also try the rubber o-rings at hardware stores or hair elastics from the drugstore. Some people use the plastic covered paper clips for removable markers. They don't snag as much as the metal kind.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 7:41PM
ironkit

With my knitting, I've been known to take off my rings and use those as stitch markers in a pinch.

With crochet, I like the old fashioned safety pins or diaper pins, 'cause they're easy to take out.

~ Kit

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 7:58PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I use safety pins when I crochet. I have a set of little plastic rings I bought 40 years ago to mark knitting. But then I got into using BIG needles with some of the novelty yarns, and looked for something I could use on them. I bought those white plastic rings they sell for crocheting buttons. Sometimes I use them to make buttons and sometimes I just use them to mark on the needles.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 12:12AM
profsusan

I generally use bobby pins. Also when teaching someone to mark the first and last stitches since they often lose those.

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 4:26PM
glad2garden

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going to try diaper pins, or if I could find safety pins without the coil at the end, that would be great!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Victoria

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
sesame Street Patterns
I have some charts of the characters. I saw some people...
clare1501
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Sponsored Products
Greenlized Artichoke Table Lamp
$459.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Hand-woven Silken Embossed Black/ Grey Shag Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Small Size Outdoor Rustic Sienna Lantern with
Home Depot
Brass Floor Lamp: Impatiens 69.5 in. Antique Brass Floor Torchiere STR11113
Home Depot
Square Modern Shower System
TheBathOutlet
Sydnee Fuchsia Drum Lamp Shade 14x16x11 (Spider)
$39.99 | Lamps Plus
Fuchsia - Satin Sea Green Ovo Lamp with Color Finial
Lamps Plus
Domi Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Solare Glass
$333.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™