ideas or suggestions

danaohFebruary 23, 2009

I will post this somewhere else, too, but I know you are all so helpful. I am 61 years old, no college degree, just laid off. Last year I made quite a few felted wool purses from sweaters. Loved doing it, they turned out really cute. Only did one craft show, sold 2 or 3, very disappointing, but between (probably) wrong audience and economy, not good. Will have uemployment for awhile, but am wondering if it would be worth trying to sell these on e-bay, or find a local store that might take them on consignment. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_ferguson

Personally, I'd try an arty sort of shop....here, there are several art galleries that also carry this sort of thing. I wouldn't put it in a regular old consignment shop, but somewhere that folks might be looking for something a little different, and willing to pay for it...an upscale gift shop, even a nice antique shop might be interested....(I've actually seen them in antique shops...)

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 3:34PM
rmlanza

I agree with sandra. the hand made stuff I've seen on e-bay don't seem to sell for very much. You could try etsy but I'm not sure if that site does much better than e-bay. On vacation in San Francisco last summer, my husband and I stopped in some small towns along the coast and in Sausalito. I saw felted hats going for $50 and up. I remember because I said something to my husband about being able to make them for under $5 and that was a pretty good way to make some real cash...if they sold at that price. They were lovely but pretty basic knitted and crocheted and then felted hats without any real decorations or anything. I remember one or two had been needle felted in very simple designs but those sold for at least $75. So if you live in or near a touristy town maybe see if you can put some in one of the shops. Maybe on a consignment type thing at first to see if they sell. We also have a cool coffee shop here that sells work from local artists, so be open minded about the types of business you approach! A small local yarn shop might be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 5:56PM
bayareafrancy

I'm not business savvy, so I can't offer much there. But I just wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry about your current curcumstances. Lay offs are hitting hard in my circle of friends, and though folks are trying to be positive, there is tension under the surface. This is a scary time. I do hope something works out for you soon.

francy

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 10:15PM
socks

Isn't this what etsy.com is for?

I'm so sorry you got laid off. Remember the Census Bureau is hiring.

Good luck with your bags.

Susan

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Sponsored Products
Daylight Black and Chrome Clip-On Studio Lamp - U31175
$115.89 | Hayneedle
Toobe Table Lamp
Lightology
Eago Square Toilet - TB336
$614.99 | Hayneedle
Infratech 39 in. Dual Element 4000 Watt Stainless Steel Quartz Heater - AEIC095
$559.00 | Hayneedle
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Apron Front Stainless Steel 35.9x20.75x15 in. 0-Hole
Home Depot