mitt pattern question

ivamaeFebruary 26, 2007

When I was a kid I remember my German grandmother making mitts with 2 strands of yarn. They looked like salt and pepper when they were finished.

They looked big but were very, very, warm appparently. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and where I might find a pattern?

thanks

ivamae

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftfetish

Do you mean she knit them with two strands of yarn held together? If that is the case, any pattern wouldwork - you would just need to make sure that your gauge matched (you might need a bulky or worsted weight pattern if you were using 2 strands of sportweight , but otherwise it would be knit as directed)

Or was this a very small fair isle pattern or some other sort of color work? I haven't tried color work yet, but there are certainly lots of patterns out there.

Hope you find something that looks the way you want it to.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ivamae

Thanks crafttetish. I was very young but from what I can remember I am sure she did not hold the 2 yarns together. At that time I had no idea what she was doing. The cuffs and thumbs were one color but the rest, except the narrowing at the tips looked like 1 stitch of the one color and 1 stitch of the second color. She also knit the European way.

ivamae

ivamae

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™