poncho patterns?

Carol_AnnFebruary 8, 2007

Hi, everyone,

I've been doing needlecrafts for years but am an amateur knitter; did several baby blankets years ago but never did anything more complex. I've done a few scarves to get my needles warmed up again and now I'd like to make a poncho. I'd like it to be in the easy to intermediate category -- a blanket or asymmetrical poncho, probably in a solid color or something "heathered", nothing too skimpy-looking (some of the ones I'm finding are really short)... can you direct me towards a pattern? I don't mind paying for it, but a free one is always nice too :) I thought maybe y'all would know some good patterns; I've looked through a bunch but am not quite finding what I want... many thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_Ann

I forgot to mention, I don't want it to be *too* open -- I want it to actually provide some warmth for cool spring/fall nights... thanks again!

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 9:22AM
profsusan

I don't knit but try this link - I know their Crochet Patterns are great so you should get lucky with their links for knitters. You can also try Lion Brand, Bernat Yarn, Caron, and Coats & Clark for free patterns,

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Pattern Central

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 3:06PM
cookie8

What age are you looking for? I do have one for a 2-4 yr old.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 8:03AM
Carol_Ann

Thanks for the link, profusan... I should find something in there, there are lots of ideas. My problem is I saw one once and didn't write down the pattern and now that's what I'm holding everything else up to :)

Cookie, I was looking for something for an adult (me). I don't have any little ones to knit for just now.

I did find a pattern in a store that I like so I might pick that up. Mainly I want something that allows me to do more than just knit and purl -- some inc/dec and/or a knit pattern of some time -- just to get back into the swing of doing stuff again.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 12:49PM
girlgroupgirl

Do you ever find the McCalls needlepoint and craft magazines? We have several from the mid 60's-70's and they have a wide variety of patterns like this, and very easy. My mom made me a GORGEOUS brown multi poncho for Christmas two years ago. It is two rectangles joined together, with fringe on the bottom. The weave is very closed so it is SO WARM. She did crochet a more open top piece for it, so that you can see a necklace through it. The best part about knitting one in this method is is that you can really control the length. At 6'2" I could not find a poncho in a store that was long enough. Mom could easily fiddle with the pattern to make it long and proportionate. I get so many compliments. I even sewed my own handbag to go with it!

GGG

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Sponsored Products
Distressed Denim Wallpaper R1681, sample
Walls Republic
Harvest Gold Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mirage Duvet Cover Set
$59.99 | zulily
Jaipur Grant I-O Bars Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - RUG112901
$195.00 | Hayneedle
Linnette Rug 10' x 14' - CAMEL
$3,099.00 | Horchow
New Unique Stone Washed Sky Blue/Green Chobi Peshawar 9'x12' Pakistani Rug H3805
BH Sun Inc
Zig zag wool throw - charcoal/natural
Origin Crafts
Tiffany Style Table Lamp with Morning Glory Patterns
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™