Gas pack vs Dual Fuel Heat pump

JimmySCMarch 19, 2013

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on upgrading my heat/AC systems. I am in the upstate area of S.C. and live in an older home thats just about 1500sq ft. I currently have electric baseboard heat and electric a/c ( split system ). Both are WELL overdue to be upgraded. I thought I had decided on installing a gas pack( I already have the line to connect to nat. gas ) but the more I talk to people, I keep hearing how a dual fuel heat pump with a gas furnace would be a better option as far as efficiency. While I obviously want the best bang for my buck, I would like to know how these two types of systems compare in price? If I go with the gas pack, I will run new ductwork under my house so there is an expense in buying the duct and installing it. If I go with the dual fuel heat pump, I can use my existing ductwork that is located in my attic and save that expense. Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Because of your location and relatively mild winters, I would recommend a split system. High eff heat pump-minimum 15 SEER with backup nat gas furnace-2 stage var speed 80% efficient.

How would you describe the insulation properties of your older home?

You could leave the baseboard electric heat in place as a backup or have it removed all together.

Ductwork system should have a comprehensive evaluation as to size, insulation properties, adequate return, leak test, etc.

Average winter temp for your location is around 40 degrees.

IMO

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™