Just wanted to tell you ladies you were right :)

sweets98February 16, 2007

I taught myself to crochet about three years ago now. I believe about two years ago or so, I came on here and was asking about making a scarf from a bunch of short pieces of yarn that I had cut for something else. I didn't want to waste the yarn but had no clue about how to join it. I was tying knots in the two pieces and working from there. Some of you told me this was not the right way to go and it would look terrible and I believe I got a little upset because I was working so hard.

Well, I just want to tell you ladies you were SO RIGHT :) I haven't used that scarf since that first winter because I've gotten so much better at it and hate the look of it! LOL I no longer tie knots in my work but do weave a few inches back in as suggested and it's working out wonderfully.

Since all of this, I have noticed that I have afghans that I got from family members or picked up at the TS (so many people get rid of beautiful baby afghans and it just sickens me because I know how much TIME went into them!) and a few of them have the knotted yarn pieces. Now I find myself secretly complaining about how they don't know how to properly crochet! LOL

Funny how a little time and experience changes us :) So I'm sorry for getting offended...you ladies were right..and thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

You will also find that knots come undone in laundering, and that is so sad when that happens. We had a wonderful granny square afghan DHs grandmother made. I kept it on the back of the couch, but eventually it got dusty and had to be washed. Yikes, it came undone in many spots. Had to throw it out. If she had woven in the ends, we would not have had that problem.

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 1:29PM
wantoretire_did

I've been tying knots, leaving 6 - 8 inch tails, then weaving the tails in part way then backtrack weaving in what is left. Is this not right? I read that it is safe to do unless the item will be juried for competition.

Carol

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 8:12AM
donna_loomis

Carol, what you are doing is indeed secure, but the knots will make a garment or blanket uncomfortable. Weaving should be sufficient.

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Lined Mittens
I am knitting my first pair of mittens. Have not knitted...
colorcrazy
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™