Stiff projects

vivionionFebruary 16, 2008

Good morning, everyone! I just finished making a crochet shrug from worsted weight yarn, but it's very stiff and doesn't really "drape" very nicely. I once read about soaking projects in a fabric softener solution to soften them up. Has anyone ever tried this, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to loosen it up a little...or will just a couple of washings do it? Thanks so much for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

If it is synthetic yarn, wash it and use fabric softener and dry it in the dryer. That will soften it up.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 3:49PM
threejsmom

What yarn did you use? If it's wool, try some hair conditioner. Have you checked your gauge against the gauge on the pattern? If you're knitting at too tight a gauge for the yarn, the fabric will be stiff and not have much drape.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 2:06PM
vivionion

No, everything is OK as far as that goes, guage was right, fits ok, it was just a kind of stiff yarn to begin with. but I really liked the color!

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 2:20PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Yarn, like fabric, is manufactured with a coating of sizing, which I liken to a light starch. That's what gives it that new, smooth finish. Just wash the item to remove that sizing, and then rinse with a fabric softener. If it is wool or another natural fiber, follow the laundering directions on the label.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™