Florida - high humidity in house, but cool temp

peabody1March 5, 2008

The humidity in our Florida house will be high in the 70s, but the temperature will be fine and it will be cool outside (except in the summer when it is HOT outside and humid, too). I hate to turn the air conditioner on to remove the humidity. In the summer, it seems like the air conditioner hardly ever shuts off. The electric reflects this, too. We don't want to have a de-humidifier sitting around...don't have the room and don't want to have to mess with it. Anyone have any ideas how to deal with the humidity issue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doobzz

If you fix your homes insulation and air leaks it would cut down alot on high humidity when the AC doesnt need to run in cooler weather. Excessive humidity the way you describe it is caused by too much air getting into your home. If you do this the AC also wont need to run as much during the hot summer. All your baths have proper fans ducted correctly? Kitchen too? Of course the easy way to fix it (but it will cost you) is with a whole house dehumidifier. You can even get them ducted into the hvac so that you wont have to mess with them at all.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 9:39PM
peabody1

Forgot to mention that we had the house the house built new in 2003, so the house isnt't very old and does have vents in baths and a vent in the kitchen. It just seems like everyday living recreats so much humidity....laundry, dishwasher, etc. The whole house dehumidifier sounds like something to check into. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 8:59AM
mikenew

Yes dehumidification will help you in many ways as stated it is not cheap but indoor air quality and therefore quality of life is most improved by proper humidity control

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 9:08AM
henryd

Find an experienced Florida certified Home Energy Rater in your area. They are listed on the Florida Solar Energy Center website. We are raters that service the Northeast Florida area. They can diagnosis the problem, accurately measure the air infiltration rates, duct leakage etc. and suggest remedies. Otherwise you will simply be guessing. The high humidity symptoms can be related to a variety things. Dehumidification is the "brute force" approach to get rid of the water once it gets inside. A few hundred spent on diagnostics is well worth it. Fixing the problem my be something relatively inexpensive. Try this slink - http://dbase.fsec.ucf.edu/pls/engauge/engauge_search_rater
Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Raters

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™