addicted :)

Carol_AnnFebruary 22, 2007

OK, it's happened: I'm addicted to yarn and knitting and crocheting... I'm in trouble :) The only good news is that I'm not working so I don't have a lot of money to spend on yarn!

So, like any good addict looking for a fix, I've been browsing the web and the local stores, and I have a question... how do y'all find patterns? Years ago when I was knitting there were small booklets -- usually in about an 8.5x11 format -- with a few to several patterns per booklet, around a theme (ie, baby blankets, sweaters, etc.). All I'm seeing right now is a lot of hardback books and some magazines, or rather limited selections of individual patterns. I'm not finding that much in the individual patterns that I want to invest in and make, and of course the books mostly only have one or two patterns each that I really want, so spending $20 and up seems like a lot.

Do they not publish booklets any more? Or am I just looking at the wrong stores?

I love the local store I found and I intend to support it but if I should be looking elsewhere, I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

What kind of stores are you looking in? I've found that my local yarn shop has mostly the hard backed books and individual patterns in binders that sell for $4 to $10 apiece, too rich for my blood. Check out WalMart, Michael's, Joann's and stores like that. You will find lots of books like you described.

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 2:48AM
Carol_Ann

Thanks, Donna! duh! Yes, I was looking in the yarn shops and some bookstores -- I like to support locally owned businesses as much as possible -- haven't looked at the craft stores. Like I said.... duh!

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 8:21AM
rwisniew

There are tons for free on the internet too. So far my favorite have been the ones on Lionbrand.com. and the other yarn websites. This forum has provided me with some favorites also.

Have fun!

Sherri

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 9:10AM
isamae

Hi, start with this site on the internet http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/ there is a bit of everything and all for free. Happy Knitting! Isamae

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 10:16AM
threejsmom

Check out the knitting books at your local library. You can sometimes get ones they don't have thru interlibrary loan. If you can still find a Knitting Pattern A Day calendar at a discount, there's a lot of patterns for your money. Knitting websites like Knitty.com and Magknits.com have free patterns. Besides Lionbrand, several yarn suppliers have free patterns on their sites, including Berroco and Garnstudio. The internet stores like Knitpicks.com and Elann.com have lots of free patterns (and great yarns for less). Sometimes Interweave Knits magazine will have free patterns on their site too.

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 1:25PM
Carol_Ann

Thanks for all the ideas! I did hit a couple of craft stores this morning but didn't buy anything... well, no patterns, only a few small supplies. Lack of a job makes me very frugal :) but I also didn't see anything that said I just *had* to have it...

I've been purusing the websites and have found a few great patterns that way. The poncho I'm making is one of those.

I'll have to get to the library soon -- and I see I have some new webpages to look at. Yay! :)

Does anyone know how/where I would find Rowan patterns? I've seen a few people post pictures of some of their sweaters (of course I didn't write down pattern names and now I can't find them....). I found a website for Rowan but it's all in UK $$ -- surely there's a US source? Are they only in the upscale shops, or...?

Again, thanks for all the help and hints! Now I need to get knitting....

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 2:36PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I have also bought a lot of patterns on Ebay.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 2:03AM
threejsmom

Some yarn stores carry the magazines and collections but you can also try eBay. If you're willing to pay full price, the site below carries them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowan patterns source

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™