Baby Taggie blanket

Annie DeighnaughAugust 12, 2014

Some of you may remember I made a veil for a gal a year ago. Well she's expecting a girl in October, so I made a baby taggie blanket for her. Inside, I put a floral bouquet cut from the lace I used on her veil. I hope she and the little one like it!

Those dark tags are not red like they appear on screen but a bright pink. So hard to get the colors right on camera...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deee_gw

AD - That is so cute. My daughter LOVED tags when she was a baby. i wish I had thought of the tag blanket idea.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 3:38PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks, deee...I hope the baby uses it...a lot easier to drag around than the full size blanket I did when I was a wee one!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:16PM
ILoveRed

Very cute. And sentimental.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:23PM
marti8a

That's cute. I wish those were around when my kids were little. Would have saved a lot of blankie problems.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:40PM
mitchdesj

really adorable !! you are so talented !!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:42PM
SheeshareeII

Nice job and love the idea that it's a taggie blanket!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:03AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you red lover, marti8a, mitchdesj and sheesharee. I had a fun time selecting the fabrics and tags, and then figuring out how to put the front together...I'm not a quilter at all so have little experience with piecing and mitering.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:14AM
joaniepoanie

So cute...I had never seen or heard of these.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:02AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks joanie...they are "interactive tagged blanket" ...like a security blanket, they have satin and other textural tags on them to keep baby interested. They like to hold, smell and touch satin tags especially. Like a security blanket, but they are smaller so less likely to be damaged as they are dragged around by the little one. Sort of like Linus from the Peanuts comic strip. I never heard of them before either, but I was looking for a baby gift to make and came across them.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:22AM
kswl2

Ingenious idea, and you are a full-service friend!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:56AM
joaniepoanie

That's interesting it was discovered babies like the satin tags. My DD(now 28) had her "Bobbie". ....it was a thermal blanket with that satin like border...never occurred to me back then she might have liked it for the border only. She slept with it for years and I still have it somewhere...it's pretty tattered!

What are the dimensions of yours Annie?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:00AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks, kswl....I can wash a windshield, check the oil and tire pressure too!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:01AM
Annie Deighnaugh

joanie mine is about 15" square...

When I was a wee one, I dragged my blanket around so much that Mom kept cutting it smaller to rid it of the most tattered parts. Eventually all I had left was a hunk of the satin ribbon which was the part I wanted anyway.

They sell them on amazon too. And now they make tagged animals like lions and monkeys.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:05AM
outsideplaying_gw

I love these taggie blankets, Annie. You are so talented and thoughtful to include the piece of lace. Very cute!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:57AM
lizzie_grow

That is so cute, Annieâ¦.did you have a pattern for this? I have a 4-mo. old granddaughter & may have to try this!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:05AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks for your kind words, op.

Lizzie, I didn't have a pattern. I explored some quilt blocks to come up with one that I thought would work with the fabrics I got. I appliqued on the bunny in the center block, so I knew I needed one with a center block. I found one, sketched it out on graph paper and then cut the pieces I needed adding seam allowance. I've been watching Donna Dewberry and she's the one who does the decorative stitching over the seams using ombre thread so I decided to try that especially since I wasn't quilting it at all.

There are a number of tag blanket DIY posts on the internet. They're all pretty similar, at least in technique. They go very quickly. But most use plain fronts, and I didn't want to do that, so that's why I did the quilt block which took a little more time. I'll link to one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY tag blanket

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Need Help With Color Choice for Kitchen and Keeping Rooms
We are doing a Kitchen renovation to a 1950's Colonial...
homechef59
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
Online Furniture Store Question
Has anyone ever purchased from the http://www.the-furniture-store.com...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
can anyone school me on encaustic tile?
I've found a pic of this gorgeous bathroom tile but...
daisychain01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™