AC tube insulation

dland2000March 25, 2012

The tubular insulation on a pipe going from my outside AC unit into my house is corroded and falling off and needs to be replaced. I went to Home Depot and got some polyethylene tube insulation. However, I'm not really sure if this is the right stuff. They also had a foam rubber version, which was slightly more expensive.

Does it matter which of these I use or is there a better alternative?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

none of these are the right insulation. They are used for
indoor pipe wrap. They have no UV protection. They will work
for about one year then replace it again. You need armaflex.

    Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What if I slather it in spf 50 sunblock?

Kidding. Thanks, I'll look into the armaflex.

    Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

LOL..armaflex will be cheaper in the long run...

    Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Make sure you get split insulation also.

The un-split stuff is for new work that can easily be slid on.

Split is for rework.

    Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:17PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™