What is 'invisible method'?

tipper_2006January 6, 2007

Hi everyone. I'm going to TRY a pattern for Garter/Rib slippers. The directions say: cast on 22 stitches. Use an invisible method if I want to graft the back-of-the-heel later instead of a simple seam. I usually knit my cast-on stitches. Question is what is an invisible method and what is a graft. I don't knit often but love to try something new. Appreciate any help.

Tipper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grannymarsh

I THINK that reference is to the Kitchener method.

FYI, there is a great little book that I use with almost every project. Well worth the $$, it has simple wording and clear illustrations.
"The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Wiseman.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafting

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 11:28PM
tipper_2006

That's a great site for info. I'll print out the pages on grafting but it looks a little beyond my expertise. I'll also find the book you mentioned. I'm mostly a crochet person but am ready to pick up knitting again. I'd really like to not have a seam on slippers.
Thanks
Tipper

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 9:47AM
threejsmom

If the instructions can be modified for knitting in the round, you may not have to do any grafting and the piece will be seamless.

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 10:29AM
feedingfrenzy

Kintting in the round will not eliminate the need for joining the back of the heel to the rest of the slipper.

Here's link that explains the invisble cast on. Another way to eliminate the seam would be to do a provisional cast on. In either case, you're eventually going to have to graft the edge of the heel flap to the edge of the slipper.

Grafting is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. It's much easier than doing a Kitchner stitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: An Invisible Cast On

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 11:48AM
tipper_2006

Thanks for the sites. I'm definitly going to need to practice before starting the slipper pattern. I ordered the book that Grannymarsh recommended as well as another that sounds good. In the meantime I think I'll try something else to refresh my memory of knitting. Haven't knitted in years! I need a new project.
Tipper

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 3:39PM
threejsmom

What pattern are you using? I finished 2 pairs of the Pocketbook Slippers and converted the pattern to knitting in the round so I only had to graft 5 st for the strap instead of 2 edges and the strap. I guess I should have said "minimize" grafting in my previous post.

In many cases you can do a Turkish caston instead of a provisional caston and eliminate the need for a crochet hook, waste yarn and picking up loops. I've used it for socks, felted bags, shawls etc. It's an amazingly useful technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkish caston

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 8:12AM
tipper_2006

The pattern is from the knitting patterns central. It's called Flat Version of Toesties (garter/rib slippers). That Turkish cast-on site is great! I'll give it a try. I'm left handed so have to work a little harded to reverse all the goodies you right handers get to do without thought:-) I'm making a sample (regular cast-on) of the pattern now so that I can see how it goes together.
Thanks for the help.
Tipper

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 11:47AM
feedingfrenzy

Thanks for the link, threejsmom! That definitely looks easier than the toe cast-ons methods I've used.

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
1970's crochet skunk air freshener can cover
Does anybody happen to have the crochet pattern for...
catsoup
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Sponsored Products
Chooty and Co. Shimmer Steel Self Backed 17 x 17 in. Decorative Down Throw Pillo
$79.96 | Hayneedle
Emory Raven Wash Two-Light Wall Sconce
$120.00 | Bellacor
Hopson Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Darya Rugs Kazak, Rust, 4'1" x 6'8" M1770-303
Darya Rugs
Sports Team College Art Glass Clock
Home Decorators Collection
Black Fluorescent Dry-Erase Weekly Decal
$14.99 | zulily
Folding Wood Accent Table