what is your favorite food to serve with gravy?

lindalouJanuary 31, 2013

other than roast chicken & roast turkey what is your favorite meal to serve with homemade gravy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marilyn_sue

Fried chicken and mashed potatoes or Beef Manhattans, that is crock pot cooked beef with seasonings, with home made gravy and mashed potatoes and it is all on a slice of white bread.

Sue

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:43AM
jannie

Two of my favorite meals are hot open face turkey or beef sandwiches, both heavy on the gravy,please!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:53AM
bigack

Biscuits w/sausage gravy!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:48AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Gravy can make any food my favorite. But I do loooove sausage gravy!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:58AM
wanda_va

Definitely fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:02AM
marilyn_c

Gravy is a staple...I like mashed potatoes with gravy best but my husband likes rice and gravy.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:08AM
azzalea

I'm not a big fan of gravy--especially turkey/chicken gravy.

I do like creamed dried beef or pepper gravy or sausage gravy--served over toast, or biscuits or Eng. muffins or made into a casserole with pasta or potatoes. But that's not really gravy, is it--it's really a white sauce.

If I had to pick a meat dish with actual meat gravy? It would be hot roast beef sandwiches, served over kaiser rolls that have been spread with horseradish cheese.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:41AM
rob333

Fried chicken livers. Not popular, I know, but I love it, to which my huge thighs can attest! I make the most awesome sausage gravy. Only once a year, and it's my Christmas gift to brother in law.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:49AM
dances_in_garden

Gravy itself is a meal, isn't it? Tee hee!

I love gravy. I can eat it on bread, potatoes, rice, noodles, vegetables, you name it.

Dances.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:59AM
paula_pa

Tater Tots LOL.

Seriously, I could take or leave gravy for the most part on poultry or meat, but when I was young we used to go to a local diner and order either French fries or Tater Tots with gravy and that is still my favorite application of gravy.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:03AM
mammie15

Are we talking white gravy or brown gravy?

I like white gravy on mashed potatoes, bread or hominy. Brown gravy on mashed potatoes.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:15AM
dees_1

I can eat gravy on most anything. I have a soft spot in my heart for french fries with brown gravy. Poutine would be a dream dish for me (cheese curds, brown gravy, french fries - *sigh).

But probably my all time favorite is braised brisket in mushroom gravy with either egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

My husband makes a killer SOS (similar to sausage gravy but it's a little different).

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:16AM
patti43

Just the thought of gravy makes me drool! Like Sue, I like it on a beef (or turkey) Manhattan and over mashed potatoes with fried chicken. It doesn't get much better than that, especially if there are little crunchy pieces in the gravy from the bottom of the pan. Also sausage or dried beef gravy on biscuits.

At Thanksgiving I make a lot of gravy and put it over the turkey, potatoes and dressing.

Gosh, Lindalou, now I'm hungry!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:34AM
maire_cate

Brisket or Eye of Round with gravy.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:36PM
glenda_al

red eye gravy on grits

chicken fried steak and white gravy

same with fried chicken

good brown gravy withi roast beef and pork

sawmill gravy on homemade biscuits for breakfast

chocolate gravy on homemade biscuits

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:39PM
Sally Brownlee

white gravy (lots of pepper) with fried ham and mashed potatoes.

oh boy did my grandma make the best!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:52PM
fran1523

pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:10PM
rob333

Glenda, I saw "chocolate gravy on homemade biscuits" and I said, they're Southern! I had never heard of this until one Christmas, my sister had been at her in-laws in Pulaski, I think, and I'd been at my in-laws in Lawrenceburg. We just looked at each other and said? Southern/Middle Tennessee thing? But I've seen it since with other people--still in SunDrop (Southern middle Tennessee, Northern Alabama) territory, though.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:13PM
ghoghunter

Give me Gravy on my mashed potatoes!!! Roast beef gravy is my favorite...but I love almost any kind of gravy on anything. Gravy bread is another favorite!
Joann

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:25PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

ok see that Cajun in my name.... well then naturally my answer is rice and gravy! oh yes, I love my rice and gravy. Growing up I had rice and gravy with supper every night and often we had it at lunch in the school cafeteria. I absolutely love roast gravy and rice, especially pork roast gravy , and brisket gravy.
one of my sisters makes the best pork roast and gravy in the world and my other sister makes the best brisket gravy. When I go home to visit they know what I will want. lol

Yes indeed chocolate gravy and cat head biscuits, one of my grandmothers specials, have not had it in years.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:33PM
kacram

no gravy for me either. Maybe a couple tablespoons at
Thanksgiving to dip a little turkey meat into.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:39PM
mike1975

I'll put gravy on anything!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:02PM
Sue_va

I'm putting a sweet potato in the oven in a few minutes. For dinner I will have it with sausage gravy, one of my favorites, but gravy over anything is great.

My DM made chocolate gravy, when we were kids, a SC/NC thing. I have never made it; don't know why.

Sue

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:31PM
glenda_al

We have a deli here named The Chocolate Biscuit, cause everyone has a buttered biscuit split and covered with chocoate gravy for dessert. Normally shared with a friend :o) just do cut down on the calories lol

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:34PM
stacey_mb

A local small restaurant (just closed yesterday after 81 years, so sad) had the most delicious skinny fries and gravy. An old fashioned, retro kind of restaurant, but loved by many. The woman who primarily ran it (took it over from her parents) worked there since 1942 and thought it was time to retire.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:36PM
morz8

I make a great gravy with pork roast, and beef pot roast, I like roast beef gravy on cottage cheese about as well as I like it on potatoes :) And thats quite well.

Always am the one called on to make the gravy for the turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't exactly call it gravy, but once in a while I make a white sauce, add chipped beef and have that on toast. My elderly neighbor does the same with crab, creamed crab on toast.

Rob, do you have time to give your sausage gravy recipe? I've never made a sausage gravy, don't think I would make it often but it would be nice to know how, I've certainly seen it with biscuits on enough breakfast menus.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:33PM
YogaLady1948

No gravy or cream sauces for me~~~

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:37PM
jeaninwa

my mom made chocolate gravy and biscuits for us when we were children...in Washington state, and she never lived in the south. Maybe she got it from a cook book or a friend. She did like to try different things. Funny, I haven't thought about that in forever. Now, I'll have to look up a recipe for it...

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:49PM
glenda_al

Here's recipe I use for chocolate gravy

Chocolate gravy
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 TBL all purpose flour
1 1/2 TBL cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 c butter
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the sugar, flour, cocoa together in cooking pan.
WHISK together the milk, water with the dry ingredients. Bring to boil over med heat.

Boil stirring often until thick and bubbly
Stir in butter and vanilla
Serve over homemade biscuit halves OR waffles, OR pound cake OR ice cream

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:59PM
jasdip

I love beef gravy. I generally roast a chicken and don't make gravy, or make chicken with 40 cloves garlic.

But a well-done roast beef with lots of gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli is absolute heaven. Bread and gravy for dessert! :)

I don't make fried chicken, even though I would love to eat it, and would sure never think that gravy would go with it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 7:44PM
susanjf_gw

i've made sausage grav by crumbling pork sausage,rendering the fat(discard some if too much)cooking the flour in the remaining and add warmed milk...i never measure...

was so dissapointed when we went for chicken dinner in frankenmuth mi, and they had canned gravy!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:28PM
jemdandy

Gravy with potatoes.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:51PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mor, it's basically a good white sauce using cooked sausage as the base. I brown the sausage real well, for lots of flavor.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:35PM
kacram

That's what I was wondering. If white gravy was really
a white sauce made with butter and flour. And chocolate
gravy sounds basically like a home made hershey's
chocolate syrup! lol

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:08PM
azzalea

I just realized no one's mentioned red gravy (spaghetti sauce, basically) on this thread. Is that a S. Jersey, Philadelphia thing? Very common term around here.

Now, as far as that goes, I'd have to say I like it over Ravioli or tortellini.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:43PM
mamatoad

We seldom eat gravy of any kind, but once in a while I will make fried chicken breast cutlets with cream gravy .Yum!!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 12:07AM
sondralee47

mashed potatoes. i used to eat french fries and gravy back in the olden days. what i hate is restaurants that serve mashed potatoes but have no gravy. disgusting.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 1:11AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I know one thing, when I go get groceries roast or brisket will be coming home with me, maybe both! I will be having rice and gravy!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 1:34AM
ntt_hou

I'm with the minority here. I prefer no gravy most of the time. I like to be able to taste the meat/dish itself. To me, the gravy would take that away.

Although, I do like the green chile (the creamy kind) on chicken enchiladas but sparingly.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 2:13AM
luckygardnr

Roast beef with yorkshire pudding!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Whose fault is it if a dog attacks?
My neighbor has no gate on his now....fenced in yard(it...
nicole___
The REAL Friday/Weekend Quiz
Wow, I didn't even notice till this morning that I...
Jasdip
Wanna see some snow? And dogs?
http://www.tastefullyoffensive.com/2015/03/old-boxer-dog-tricks-puppy.html...
Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b
Airline pilots and antidepressants
As of five years ago, airline pilots are allowed to...
Alisande
Sponsored Products
Godinger Symphony Gallery Tray - 49201
$19.53 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Aden & Anais Sleeping Bag
Serena & Lily
Mickey Mouse Multi-Bin Organizer
$26.99 | zulily
Rectangular Outdoor Market Umbrella
Grandin Road
Achim Fairfield 5 Piece Curtain Set - FF5P63BK12
$20.99 | Hayneedle