Cute juvenile buttons????

sheilajoyce_gwJanuary 18, 2008

I like to make baby sweaters, but it seems I am finding fewer of the smaller cute buttons out there. I prefer buttons with a shank, or neck, as they accommodate the thickness of knitted buttonholes best. Moreover, sometimes I have spent more on the buttons than on the yarn, which seems out of whack.

We have a WalMart for a limited choice of buttons. JoAnns is further away and I need to look there, and then we have a Tall Mouse craft store which has a few, mostly too big for baby sweaters.

Is there an online site for unique and inexpensive buttons?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zipper_TX

I don't know about online but have you tried Hobby Lobby or Michael's they have cute buttons most of the time.

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 7:07PM
donna_loomis

Sheila, I have ordered from Home Sew's catalog several times, and they do have a website. I think you'll find that they have some very nice buttons, and the shanks you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buttons

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 7:27PM
sheilajoyce_gw

We do not have Hobby Lobby, and our various Michael's do not carry buttons--or fabric either.

Thanks, Donna. Will look. The retail button supplies seem to have really dried up around here. I used to get really cute and inexpensive ones at WalMart.

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 10:49PM
jillcrewe

have you looked at the mj trimmings site? they have adorable buttons that you never see at walmart or joann's, take a look!

http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Category/423.aspx

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 10:36AM
pandora429

You can find really cute and inexpensive ones at Walmart called Favorite Finding. They are on a spinner in the fabric part of the store. Joann's and Michaels carries Jesse James buttons, but for the most part they are for scrapbooking. Favorite Findings has a website also:Favoritefindsings.com but you will have to buy in bulk. Hope this helps you out!! Happy button hunting :)

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 8:04PM
casey.buttons

Hey SheilaJoyce,

My mom and I started a website selling her 'unique and inexpensive' buttons. They are custom made, one-of-a-kind glass and stone buttons. What I have put on the website so far is only a fraction of her inventory (she's been making these for years), but I am adding more daily. My mom can also customize a set of buttons to any size/shape/design you would like. Visit the website, www.greenbeanglassandstone.com, or just click on the link below and check out the glass buttons category and the stone buttons category. Her buttons sound like just what you're looking for. Let me know what you think! I'll check back on this posting, or you can email me at casey.denhaag@gmail.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.greenbeanglassandstone.com

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 4:29PM
casey.buttons

Hi SheilaJoyce,

I don't think the link on my previous post will work, but you should be able to get to our website on the link below. Also, you can just enter www.greenbeanglassandstone.com in your web browser and it should take you right to our website. Let me know if you have any problems getting there. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Here is a link that might be useful: www.greenbeanglassandstone.com

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 4:41PM
pinkcarnation

Sheila,
Try www.buttondrawer.com. They have a large selection. I agree that it is difficult to find cute ones in the stores, but there are a lot of websites that sell buttons. Just google "buttons" or "childrens buttons." Good luck!

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:36PM
quirkpod

Thanks for posting this, the resources are wonderful! I may have some buttons I can send you. A lady friend at church told me that she has a large collection of buttons she would give me if I wanted it. Email me to discuss. Robin in NC

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™