Coffee filter spice pouch (bag?)

ynnejMarch 13, 2012

Has anyone tried making one? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

sure.....Just fill with the herbs of choice, tie and dunk.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 10:08PM
westsider40

sounds good. tie with what? floss string?

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 1:39AM
compumom

No, but I use cheesecloth and tie with a string or tie it in a knot.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 1:43AM
solsthumper

Jenny, maybe I'm just clinically paranoid, but I normally use either muslin or cheesecloth as spice bags.

And I'm sure you already know this, but for anyone interested in using coffee filters, make sure they're chlorine-free.

Sol

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 9:17AM
lindac

Now that I have a stainless tea ball, I prefer that....lots easier.
If you have lots of fresh herbs, use an unbleached filter, wet it so its easy to bunch up and tie it with..."whatever" kitchen twine, dental floss, button thread....whatever is handy and clean.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 10:04AM
ynnej

Sol, I actually never would have thought of that. Thank you. I think I'll tying it with thread- hope it works. Thank you, Lindac for your advice on wetting it first, I will try that.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:16PM
rob333

Or trussing twine. Just 'cause it's sitting out and I can see it. It's bigger and easier to manipulate. One more suggestion.

:)

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:32PM
Cynic

And the chlorine concern is what?

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 8:34PM
solsthumper

Not terribly concerned about its safety. Especially since, according to the apocalyptic Mayan calendar, we're all pretty much screwed anyway.

But seriously, since there are other options available, I will go with what I consider safest, to me, my family and the environment, no matter what the EPA says.

But, I suggest people do their own research, and draw their own conclusions, as I have.

Sol

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:28PM
shambo

I've been doing the same as LindaC for eons. My faithful old tea ball gets stuffed with whole allspice, bayleaves, peppercorns, etc. and dumped into the soup or stew pot. So easy to fish out. Just dump the innards, wash, and re-use.

For fresh herbs, I usually just throw in large stems that are easy to pick out once the dish is done.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 4:50PM
Cynic

When there's a posting "...make sure they're chlorine-free", I'm just curious about the concern. Maybe there's something I don't know about.

Considering that most restaurants use bleached coffee filters, many also use a bleach sanitizer for their food handling equipment, water treatment uses chlorine and more whether water, coffee, flatware, etc are also avoided or just coffee filters. Campers purify their drinking water with bleach tablets. I'm just wondering what you know that I apparently don't. Not trying to argue, just curious.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 1:54AM
lindac

I like my coffee better made with filtered water and the grounds put in a chlorine-free filter. But in a pot of spicy, herb-ey well seasoned soup I doubt if I could detect any chlorine taste.....besides it would have boiled off by the time the carrots were tender.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 10:51AM
sally2_gw

I actually like munching on whole pepper corns that have been stewing in my soup. But, I only do that when I make soup for myself. I wouldn't serve soup with whole peppercorns to other people unless I know they like them, too.

This may be off topic, but why use the whole spice instead of grinding it up and adding it to the soup or stew? Does it impart a different flavor?

Sally

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:02AM
klseiverd

You could make a "tea bag" with the coffee filter... staple shut, and attach a string to loop around handle of pot for easy retrieval.

I have a growing collection of tea balls. A little odd, since I don't drink a lot of hot tea, and when I do... it'll be from a tea bag. Most are different sizes and shapes of the standard screw-on lid things. Do have a HUGE on... between baseball and softball size?? It's hinged. When I think about it, might not even be for tea... would have to be a massive amount. Could be for large batches of soup or stock when you want to contain things like pepper corns and bay leaves for easy removal.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Sponsored Products
Black & Decker Brew 'N Go Coffee Maker
Overstock.com
Thick Thin Mini Floor Lamp
Lightology
Meri Mirrored Table
Grandin Road
Clear Staple Coffee Table
$329.99 | Dot & Bo
Sample-Coffee Wood 4� Hexagon Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar