San Francisco friends---dim sum?

fairegoldNovember 13, 2006

Many many many years ago, when we lived in the city, we used to have dim sum at the Hang Ah Tearoom. I went back about 2 years ago, and it was disappointing. We'll be in the city for a couple of days soon, but are not getting the car out of the hotel garage, so we will be mainly on foot. Does anyone have a more current recommendation for dim sum near Chinatown or downtown?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ljwrar

fairegold,

I just had great dim sum yesterday. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it is on the southwest corner of Folsom and Hawthorne. Hawthorne is between 2nd and 3rd Streets. It's a good location if you go to MOMA or Yerba Buena. Hopefully someone will give you an option north of Market if you want to stay in that area.

Have a great stay in the City!

Lisa

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 9:47PM
fairegold

That's possible. We'll be at the Hyatt Regency for a company event, and we're taking a little extra time for ourselves. Thanks very much.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 10:47PM
wooderlander

Darn, I thought you were inviting everyone for dim sum. :)

The Richmond is a good neighborhood for dim sum and all kinds of Asian food, but you'd have to get there. We get dim sum from one of several take-out places on Clement St., just look in the windows and stop in when you see something good.

If you ever find yourself in the East Bay, there's a great sit-down dim sum restaurant right inside the entrance to the mall at Pacific Plaza, Central Ave. exit off the 80 in El Cerrito.

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 9:49PM
alexrander

I asked my friends in the Sunset and they go to Tong King on Geary between 22nd and 23rd, or a block away - Yet Wah at Clement and 23rd. They don't go downtown much but mentioned that Harbor Village in the Embarcadero was good (if it's still there)).

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 12:57PM
chrisa2711

I hope this isn't too late, but I suggest Yank Sing. There are 2 locations - one in the Rincon Annex (only a couple of blocks from the Hyatt Regency) and the other is only a few blocks west of there on Stevenson [between Market & Mission] between 1st and 2nd Streets. It's a family-owned and operated place that is a little upscale and utterly delicious. It's always on my list when I go back to visit SF, where I lived for 22 years...

Here is a link that might be useful: Yank Sing

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 11:14PM
Yvonne Albertyn_Brazil

Fairegold - another vote for Yank Sing - elegant and delicious! It's pricey, but really good.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 12:49PM
fairegold

I think that we'll try Yank Sing, great reports from people I know. Thanks to you all!

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 12:57PM
cupofkindness

I ate at Yet Wah with my grandparents many years ago. Delicious food. I grew up around Clement Street. Lots of Chinese restaurant choices there as well. I do miss San Francisco.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Recommendations needed — architect for kitchen renovation in NYC
Hi all, I’m looking for recommendations for an architect...
afrochic2
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™