Making popcorns with the afghan stitch

carmen_grower_2007January 31, 2011

I am crocheting an afghan in the afghan stitch and am having a difficult time understanding the 'popcorn' instructions. Can anyone here help with a simple diagram?

The popcorns are placed to create diamond shapes. I will be able to figure out the pattern if only I can make a popcorn stitch! If I can't do these, what are some other ideas for a interesting pattern using the afghan stitch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I don't have that pattern, and it would help if you would copy that part of the instructions for us. That said, my guess is that you skip down one row, or two, grab the front loop of the stitch in that row below, and crochet into it several times as you do for a cluster, probably using double crochet. Finally, you make the last loop on the stitch, having had as many as 6 or so loops as you make the popcorn stitch.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:51PM
carmen_grower_2007

OK, here goes:

Popcorn Strip - Make 4

With afghan hook, ch 33 and work row 1 and first half of row 2 in plain afghan stitch. Yo and through first loop, *yo and through 2 loops twice, ch3 (for popcorn)*, repeat from *to* 6 times more (7 popcorns); yo and through 2 loops 3 times, ch 3, repeat from *to* 6 times more, ending with yo and through 2 loops 3 times. Row 3 and all odd rows: Work plain afghan st., keeping popcorns on right side. (33 loops)

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 12:18PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Well, I have done the popcorn stitch, but never in an afghan stitch using a long afghan hook. Did you change the wording of the instructions? It does not read as precise as a pattern usually will. I am unable to help you with this wording as I don't understand it myself.

I have knit popcorn stitches and have crocheted them, but never using the afghan or Tunisian stitch.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 8:14PM
carmen_grower_2007

Thanks so much for your response. What really bugged me about this is that I actually made this same afghan about 40 years ago from the same pattern! My daughter who is out of state has it so I looked at it when I visited her last week. I figured it out once I saw it, but those directions were not very explicit.

The tricky part was that 'one half' of a row in the afghan stitch is half of a two-part row which all rows are. Anyway, I'm going to finish making my afghan the way I originally wanted (with the popcorns!)

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
sesame Street Patterns
I have some charts of the characters. I saw some people...
clare1501
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Sponsored Products
Chrysanthemum 5 x 7 Frame Album
Classic Hostess
Oil Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp: Stewart 28 in. Rubbed Oil Bronze Incandescent Tabl
Home Depot
Dorset Round Aluminum Side Table - 20016
$258.99 | Hayneedle
Magnetic Hexagon Board - Small
$33.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Lyndhurst Tabriz Red/ Ivory Rug (6'7 Square)
Overstock.com
Black Mimi Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™