Trane or Amana; Single stage vs 2 stage

GradybMarch 18, 2012

I have a 2400 sq ft, single story home in DFW, TX area. Over the last 2 yrs, my average electric bill is $160/mo. I have two proposals for replacing my total electric HVAC system with a heat pump. First proposal is a Trane, 5 ton, 15 SEER, with variable speed airhandler. The second proposal is for an Amana, 5 ton, 16 SEER, 2 speed heat pump with variable speed airhandler. The Trane has a 10 yr parts and labor warranty, the Amana has a lifetime replacement on hp, 10 yrs on parts and labor. The cost difference between the two systems is negligible. The Trane proposal is for a XA13 system and the Amana is a ASXC16. My confidence in each company's installers and warranty support is the same. So my dilemma is which one to choose. I have not had experience with either manufacturer and I know what I'm asking is going to be very subjective, depending on who is answering. But I've still got to ask: "Which would be the correct choice?" Is the Amana reliable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohioheatpump

Normally not a fan of amana but this is a nicer unit than the baseline trane being offered and much more efficient.

Efficiency is important. It sounds like your existing system must be doing pretty good if your avg electric bill is $160. I hear in dallas of much higher bills than this.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:12AM
handy-man

Is the trane single speed or two speed?

If it is single speed, and the price isn't that much different, go with Amana

If the trane is two speed, and the price isn't that much different, go with trane.

Trane is a high end unit, but two speed is alot better than single speed as far as efficiency.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 3:07AM
mike_home

Did you get a quote on a 2-stage Trane heat pump? Perhaps the cost increase is increase is not large and is something to consider.

I have no experience with Amana, but I would feel better with Trane equipment. The 2-stage feature is nice to have especially in a 5 ton unit.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™