Converting needles

stitcheasy2003January 29, 2008

Hello

Has anyone ever taken a 2 needle pattern and turned it by using 4 dp needles or circular needles. I have Patons "Back to Basics 111". This book does the sweaters on two needles. I don't like sewing seams and want to make a sweater without sewing the seams. Is there a book made??? Can this be converted? Do I just omit 4 sts. being 2 sts on each side to sew up the seam. Thank you .

http://www.patonsyarns.com/patternbook.php?PBS=500563

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I have done this on occasion. I only omit 1 stitch from each edge, but I may seam things differently than you do.

I know I have seen information online about how to do this, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 2:33PM
ct_iris

There are patterns made especially for knitting with no seams. They're knit from the neck down on circular needles. Can't think right now of the author's name, but she's written books of various no-seam patterns.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 4:13PM
cannahavana

I've made a few of Elizabeth Zimmerman's seamless sweaters and they are fun and easy to make with only small seams under the arm. I also converted one into a cardigan for my daughter. I loathe seams...

Rebecca

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 6:21PM
sheilajoyce_gw

There is a pattern book out there with no shoulder seams--but if you look at the pictures of the people wearing the sweaters, they really don't fit well. These are not raglan sleeved sweaters.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 8:15PM
sandra_ferguson

I hate to sew together sweater pieces, or even knit pieces, for that matter, so I always knit in the round. I started with Elizabeth Zimmerman, many years ago, my introduction to circular knitting, but in the last few years have been using a book I heartily recommend to everyone....I also have a problem with trying to conform my own stitches to someone else's knitting....(why?), and the following book allows you to knit a swatch on whatever needles you want, and using this swatch, and a sweater you have that fits you, create your own pattern...they include a simple formula to use. This all makes MUCH sense to me, and I love the book. In fact, my old one simply fell apart and I recently bought a replacement, from Amazon...used, but perfectly fine. It's called THE SWEATER WORKSHOP, by Jacqueline Fee, published by Interweave Press, Inc, in 1983. It has lots of patterns and is easy to read and follow.

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Sponsored Products
Plymouth Kitchen Cart - 1529
$187.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Persian
Home Depot
Champion 22-Ton Horizontal/ Vertical Hydraulic Log Splitter with Log Catcher (Un
Overstock.com
Windgate Brushed Nickel Two-Light Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$56.00 | Bellacor
Anatolia Convertible Futon Sofa Bed with Storage
Overstock.com
Home Basics Nickel Convertible Pendant
$109.90 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™