2 furnaces in basement or 1 basement/ 1 2nd floor?

miffy13March 5, 2012

We are building a 4200 sq ft house in Michigan. We were planning to have one furnace in the basement and one on the 2 nd floor but are now having problems finding a place to put it. Is it really bad to have them both in the basement?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

Is this actually 3 floors or just two?

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:24PM
miffy13

basement will have 1250 sq ft additional finished area.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:12PM
david_cary

You really need to be clear about floors and living space because what seems obvious to you, is not obvious to people from other regions of the country.

When you say second floor, I am not sure what you mean.

I am guessing this is a 3 story house - basement, 1st and 2nd - but I am not sure and that matters a whole lot for this question.

Next - where is the ductwork going to be for the 2nd floor? Is it running between floor 1 and 2? How would you get from the basement to the second floor with the air? The chase would need to be almost as big as a furnace.

Lastly, if you also want to lose weight, this isn't the right forum..... Can't some moderator delete that spam?

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 5:50AM
miffy13

yes, basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor.
There is a place for a chase in the center of the house going to the atic and then down to second floor. I am told it would take half the space. Or can ducts run up the walls separately so no chase?
I really dont know anything about these things. Would that work just as well as having on on the 2nd floor?

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 7:09AM
mike_home

The usual practice is to install the second floor furnace in either the attic the basement. I have not seen a furnace installed in the living space of a second floor.

An attic installation in a climate with freezing temperatures becomes a problem for furnaces for a furnace with efficicency above 90%. High efficiency furnace need be vented with PVC piping out through a side wall. The exhaust has condensation which could freeze in the attic. In order to avoid this contractors will normally install 80% efficiency furnaces in attics.

I have both of my furnaces in the basement. There is nothing wrong with this installation providing the duct work up to the second floor is done correctly. The chase in the middle of the house can be used to install the second floor return.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Disconnect for Fujitsu mini split indoor unit (slim duct type)
We are installing a Fujitsu mini split system that...
ylmzm
Does Air Duct Cleaning really help?
We live in a 40 year old home with a forced air gas...
lincann
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Natural gas air conditioning
Does anyone have experience with the newer residential...
blueyebear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™