sweater patterns that are knitted without seams

hallngardenJanuary 20, 2005

Not sure if I make myself clear. I love to knit sweaters that I can knit the entire sweater without seams. My favorite patterns are from 1960, the old 2 skein , knit in a day with large needles. I start out at the top and after casting on for the sleeves , leave these on a holder, then I continue with the fronts and back. After completing the entire body, I go back finish the sleeves. For some reason, I don't find many patterns like these, most are knitting the fronts, sleeves,back, and then joining. Thanking you in advance. Hallngarden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazyknitter

Below is a link to a pattern generator that allows you to plug in the guage and size of sweater you want to make, and it will produce a generic pattern you can print out and use. I've used it a couple of times, and it works well for me.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top-down raglan sweater pattern generator

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 1:17PM
hallngarden

Crazyknitter, is that too cool or what. Thank you so much. Hallngarden

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 1:37PM
lindac

That's pretty much the way I do it....but I shape the neck by knitting and purling back and forth working short rows, after the neck ribbing for about 1 1/2 inches. The number of rows depends on the gauge.
I also don't cast on extra stitches at the under arm...but make the raglan line a bit longer.
It sure is wonderful to be finished with a sweater when you bind off the second sleeve.
I also do a cardigan the same way, and knit a button band when I knit the body of the sweater.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 6:23PM
jerseyearth

There are two great books that I bought a couple of years ago and taught myself to do sweaters in the round.. takes two circular needles, and is fun to do.. a bit of concentration at first, but, then.. it really works!

The books by Mary Goodwin (you can find them online here at Amazon.com) are really good.. "Seamless Raglan sweaters from the top down" or something like that!

GOod luck! Pat

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 9:20PM
    Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 11:36AM
Wendy_the_Pooh

Thanks for pointing this book out, Pat. It's currently not available at Amazon, but it can be pre-ordered so they send it too you if one becomes available.

For the children's one there are currently 3 used & new available from $147.00 (!!) Wow. Must be good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Goodwin Book

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 11:53AM
jerseyearth

Wow, Wendy.. that's amazing! I have both the books.. the adults, and the childrens...Mary has a site somewhere, and you can always order it from her..

Or.. let me know.. psdumas@comcast.net and I'll send you a copy of what you want.. they are fun sweaters to knit!

Pat

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 6:58PM
jerseyearth

Again, that is one crazy price on that Goodwin Children's knitting book! I can't believe it..

Anyway.. here's Mary's email (from the original book I have) I believe she still is at this location.. hopefully)

mgoodwin@utah.uswest.net

Also, she's written a new book, at a better price of $14.95.. you can find it at Jimmy Beans Wool..
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineGen/currGen/MaryRichGoodwin/SweatersForEveryone.asp

Good luck everyone! again. 147 bucks for a knitting pattern book???? that's nutz! :-) And, if you would like me to send you some copies (I know this isn't kosher) but, I will... ssssh... :-)

Pat

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 7:15PM
jerseyearth

here's Mary Goodwin's website.. that book is a normal 14.95 here...no stinkin' $147.!!! :-)

http://www.onepieceknitting.com/products.html

Pat

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 7:18PM
luciatheknitter

You can find patterns for circular seamless raglans in any size you like here:
polo neck raglan (shown on man).

and here:
crew neck raglan (shown on woman).

They are pattern generators, so you enter the gauge for your own yarn.

Here is a link that might be useful: the knitting fiend (blog)

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 11:04PM
wva65rn

I am looking for a 2 skein, knit in one day, sweater pattern that uses large needles. I had one in the 60's but lost it. Would you care to share your pattern?

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 11:03PM
damascusannie

I almost never knit sweaters with seams. I find that with some creative adapting, I can usually modify a pattern for seamless knitting. About the only thing that will mess it up is the sleeve, I do sometimes still have to sew that to the sweater, but I still modify the patterns and knit them in the round.

Any raglan style sweater will be seamless, of course, and I knit a lot of T-shaped cardigans and pull-overs that have slits for the sleeve tops, so that I can just pick up my sleeve stitches around the armhole and knit them from the top down. These are going to be boxier than the extremely fitted (tight) sweaters that have been popular in recent years, but I find them more comfortable to wear over other shirts and blouses in the winter. I knit sweaters for their snuggle value--not to be in fashion. 8^)

Annie

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™