uv light and air filtration?

sprint23March 14, 2011

I'm building a house, and I've decided which equipment and contractor I'm going to use. I'm using spray foam with a non-vented attic and i'll require 2 seperate units(3 ton and 2 ton). I've been told about and read about the systems with uv lights. I asked my hvac contractor and he said it would be good to have but not a necessity. It would cost me about $1500 more for each unit. Does anybody know anything about these systems? I'm going to have to check, but I think he told me he uses the whole house air purification (has both the air filter and uv light) made by ultravation. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poppyloppy

Studies have shown that UV lights are really only effective within appx. 1-2" of the UV tube; Also, the higher the airflow, the less effective. For that price,and for those really concerned, get a Honeywell Whole house HEPA Bypass Filtration system which cleans air for the whole house every 30 min. of run time

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 1:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
airstarsolutions

I agree with the statement above and also like the HW HEPA as well as the Lifebreath system; neither of which utilizes UV. If you are set on UV , I like the SunPure Photocatalytic system. We have sold for some high end spaces , specified by many Engineers for homes where IAQ is a top concern.

We recommend running all in a 24/7 continous mode...if its not running...its not cleaning the air.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™