Astra Yarn comparible

janetc9January 22, 2009

Hey there - My mom was an avid knitter but is currently in respite after knee surgery (80 Years Old). I suggested that she knit to pass the time. The pattern she wanted to do was one she made for me over 20 years ago and I still wear, it looks great and every year I get compliments on it.

Problem! The sweater was made with Patons Astra Double Knit. I went into Michaels and she suggested I used Vanna's Choice. I dropped the yarn off to my mom but this morning googled an found that the gauge on the two is totally different.

Astra's was Approx. 121 m per 1 3/4 oz. 50 gm ball. Suggested gauge: 22 sts. and 28 rows to 10 cm on 4.0 mm needles. Does anyone know of an appropriate substitute? Thanks - I've only dabbled in knitting - Mom was so good that she could have the whole sweater done in the time it took me to do the ribbing :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane2

You really lucked out on the advice you received at Michaels!
Vanna's Choice yarn is listed (online)as worsted weight, and has a gauge of 16 sts per 10 cm/4inches.
As you have pointed out, Astra is DK (double knit) with a gauge of 22 sts.

In order to get a sweater that is as long-lasting and as good-looking as your 20 year old sweater you should have the same yarn. Just because your Michaels doesn't seem to sell it, that doesn't mean Astra is not available.

I just bought 10 balls of Patons Astra yarn last weekend - from my LYS (not a chain). I can't put my hands on it right now to see if it is DK for sure, but I am certain that it is. Can't you get it where you are? Are there any other yarn stores?

A substitute for Astra would be a DK weight of yarn - Bernat Satin Sport for example. It has the same row and stitch gauge as Astra. (But I would stick with Astra.)

Good luck to you. And best wishes for your mother's recovery.

Bookmark   January 24, 2009 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™