Weight gain during re-hab

shequitOctober 4, 2006

I have not had a kitchen for 7 months - very long story. In the meantime, I have gained weight and not been as active. Used to go to gym 5 days a week but so much going on... I am 62 yrs. Am I the only one who cannot stick with the program? I am hoping that when this is over I will again motivate. Really need support at this point.

MK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

It's hard to eat right when you can't cook,
so that part is a big problem for most of us --
Can you think of some healthy, easy to prepare foods that will help get your diet back on track?

As to exercise, during times of stress - like remodeling - exercise becomes even more important. This one you need to "just do"...

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 10:32AM
seekingadvice

shequit, I can relate. It was so hard to stick to ANYTHING in the midst of remodeling chaos. Honestly, I think you have to just try your best but give yourself some slack, too. I got back on a good routine after the remodel was finally complete (ours took a year and still wasn't completely done until year 2). That was a 2 1/2 years ago. I've sort of fallen off the wagon in the last few months so I need to get myself going again, sigh.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 9:35PM
dancefit

I have been remodeling my whole house for years about 10. That was when the weight started going up, up[, up..... Now without a kitchen and winter being her I am in your same spot. Not only that my husband and I are doing the work ourselves. To many decisionsl So I eat. I'm with you girl. I'm 56 and know what you mean.

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 10:17AM
athomein1914

It will help tremendously to put the gym on your to do list with the same priority as a big meeting. It's hard when you need to be on site or when you're physically involved with project. So hard to be physically exhausted without actually getting a good cardo workout!

Food is tough during remodeling, particularly if stress is a trigger for you. (It is for me.) Seems no matter what we end up eating mysteriously prepared food.

Is there an end in sight?

I've lost 28# since finishing the kitchen. (After some initial "Wow! We can cook!" gain.) I planned the kitchen with new eating habits in mind, and that is actually making a difference. But the big thing is moving -- particularly in the gym.

No spring chicken here either.

Maybe you could add your energy, or quest for inspiration, to the Mojo & Fitness threads. You're not alone!

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 12:12PM
shequit

Sorry I have not gotten back to thank all of you for the responses. I just need that support thing. I have been to the gym this week to walk and really need to get on the weight machines. One of the gym gals said I look thin - she was looking at my face (a little drawn at this point)-had she looked at my mid, also a little drawn - in the other direction, she may not have been so kind. This kit-fam rm re-do is way more than I bargained for in my retirement! But it will be wonderful when it is done. Thanks again!

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 11:41PM
caflowerluver

I know how you feel. I was suppose to be on a special diet because I just got diagnosed as pre-diabetic but it is hard to follow through when you are under a lot of stress. I am trying hard to eat lots of fruit, veggies (carrot sticks, celery, cucumbers) for snacks instead of chips and crackers. And eat a big salad right before dinner so I don't eat too much.
I also try to take my dog for a walk at least once a day. It helps to get out of the war zone! We have been almost 5 months without a kitchen and it doesn't look like it will be finished anytime soon. Hopefully by Christmas!
Good luck.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with JSI rta cabinets? Essex or Dover?
I'm looking into this brand as suggested by a previous...
happyallison
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Beam in Kitchen - Wine rack?
We are doing a kitchen remodel. We have 8 ft ceilings....
neubz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™