Hardwood vs. engineered wood floors

kassikoloDecember 13, 2012

What is more durable and scratch resistant?
Cant decide what to install in our house that we are building

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodfloorpro

The prefinished wear layers are much thinner, custom finishes end up about the same thickness in total. The main difference would be the custom finished take a bit of time to cure, ~ a week for water based and up to a month for oil. During that time they are more likely to mark, however the cure percentage is much higher the first days and tapers gradually from there.
For me as a contractor you can not beat the appearance of a well done custom floor. I've put them in my houses every time.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:27AM
woodfloorpro

Sorry I forgot to answer your primary question.
Engineered floors are much more stable as moisture levels fluctuate. The newer sawn veneer floors are vastly superior to the rotary cut veneer products and worth every penny in price difference.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:32AM
DanG4

Unless things have changed in the last few yrs factory finished floors tend to have a higher resistance to abrasive wear than site finished floors. Aluminum Oxide can be applied at the factory under controlled conditions where site finished floors can't. The 'wearable' portion of the wood can sometimes be as much on an engineered floor than with solid hardwood. Lots has to do with 'design', stain and other factors. Some people just hate the beveled edges and other love them. Some houses with slabs or other conditions don't lend themselves to solid hardwood so engineered is the only choice

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™