Pig Candy

JoanMMarch 30, 2012

Oh my! I saw a photo of pig candy on a blog somewhere and I just had to try it.

Yummo!!

Every recipe said to use foil for easy clean up. I am so glad I listened. Once you peel those drippings from the foil you get Bacon Brittle! Awesome stuff. Two recipes for the price of one.

The yummy mess.

The bacon brittle. LOL

This recipe is from the blog the Kitchy Kitchen.

8 strips thin cut bacon (hickory smoked bacon was a wonderful maple flavor already within it)

1 cup golden brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Turn the oven on to 350 F. Meanwhile, blend the sugar and pepper together in a bowl. Taste it. If it's too spicy, add more sugar, not spicy enough, add more cayenne. However, the spice does become a little more pronounced after being cooked, so be aware of that.

Lay the bacon on a cooling rack placed over a baking pan lined with aluminum foil (these means minimal clean up!). Cover each slice of bacon with the brown sugar mixture. It should be an even layer, thick enough so that you cannot see the bacon through it (about 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch).

Place the bacon in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the sugar is completely browned, and the bacon has curls at the edges and appears mostly cooked. Remove the bacon from the oven and flip. Cover the bacon with the rest of the brown sugar mixture, and pop back in the oven for another 4-6 minutes, or until the bacon appears fully cooked, like crunchy, but not burnt. If the bacon seems underdone, just leave in the oven for a minute or two more.

Let the bacon cool on the rack for at least 15 minutes to let the sugar harden a bit before you start cutting the pieces. I find it's easiest to use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut the pieces over the serving bowl. Serve it up with the libation of your choice and enjoy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Libation of choice? It's usually coffee, LOL, we've had this for breakfast a lot of times over the years.

The Grandkids love it, but they'll eat it instead of anything else, so they are "rationed" until they eat some of the rest of whatever we're having for breakfast.

Leftovers never have to be worried about, it doesn't matter how much I make, there's never any left.

Sometimes I use maple syrup instead of brown sugar, but it doesn't have as much crunchy sweet crust that way.

Annie

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 10:00PM
jkom51

Oooh, I am so NOT making this! My DH would fall instantly in lust with it....and probably so would I, LOL.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 4:01PM
annie1992

C'mon, jkom51, live dangerously. (grin) You'll love it, how could you not love sweet, salty, greasy, crunchy bacon?

Annie

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 6:25PM
lindac

Serve with a side of caramel cheetoes...AKA Goose Poop....

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 7:24PM
JoanM

I'm still thinking about it :->

I wish I had a Grandma like Annie!

Bacon candy... Yum

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 10:40PM
annie1992

Well, I know for sure their mother won't let them have it for breakfast. Here they get bacon candy, waffles shaped like cows and barns and chocolate milk. Breakfast is good, LOL.

Annie

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 12:29AM
weed30

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 7:38PM
centralcacyclist

Hi Weed!

Love the graphic!

E

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:17PM
annie1992

Hey, Weed!!! I miss you!!!

Come here, little girl, I have (pig) candy.....(grin)

Annie

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:00PM
weed30

Hi Ladies! I do check in sometimes when I need a recipe - I saved this one...it's too sick not to try :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 7:18AM
cannond

Hello. I've never posted in here before...but I just had to this time. I'm making my husband look at this thread...he'll never believe it. He thinks my family made pig candy up, that it's some kind of idiosyncrasy peculiar to my clan.

He's from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, I'm from south of it. I figure his folks just don't understand happy food!

Our version rolls the candied bacon up and skewers it before broiling till it is crisp. Hot, sweet and spicy. The key to longevity.
Deborah

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Easter Sunday Dessert
My favorite dessert is a good home-made pound cake....
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™