1 inch vs. 4 inch media

mike_homeMarch 14, 2009

I have started getting quotes to replace my furnaces and condensers. I am looking at the Carrier Infinity ICS variable speed furnace with the Infinity 17 condenser. My set up is two zone for a two story house (2 independent furnaces/condsensers).

The first company suggested going with a 1 inch media filter. Other companies are saying they always use a 4 inch media. The last company is saying the Carrier filter compartment can hold either a 1 inch or 4 inch filter.

Here are my questions:

Would I be making a mistake going with a 1 inch filter?

I realize the 1 inch will create greater static pressure, but won't the Infinity controller compensate for this?

Does the Infinity furnace come with the 4 inch media box?

If it does, why would an installer bother to create a duct to house a 1 inch filter?

I understand the 4 inch filter may require a yearly change versus a 3-4 time change with a 1 inch. Will the cost of the filters be about the same?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veesubotee

I believe that the Carrier filters are proprietary and a bit pricey.

Their filter housings MAY be an option. If you're not tied into it, I would opt for a 4" filter such as an Aprilaire or other. The replacements are available from numerous sources and there are generic equivalents, if you are so inclined.

V

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboymo

I bent the tabs in on my filter holder so it would hold a 4" filter instead of just a 1". I think it gives a bunch more surface area of filter media which should help lower the static pressure. I could hear it build suction as I slid the new 1" filters in place when new and it was horrible after a month and no one here smokes and we don't burn candles. I slid the 4" filter in and could barely hear any change in the air noise. I still do not see waiting a year to change it like the wrap said, that is nuts. I think 4 months is a good interval and go from there.
If you can make a 4" filter fit I would sure do it, especially if the filter media is pleated.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Does Air Duct Cleaning really help?
We live in a 40 year old home with a forced air gas...
lincann
Disconnect for Fujitsu mini split indoor unit (slim duct type)
We are installing a Fujitsu mini split system that...
ylmzm
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Sponsored Products
Emerald Home Prestige 64 in. Entertainment Console - Rich Cognac - E5240
$834.92 | Hayneedle
Petrified Wood Two-Tier Server
$275.00 | Horchow
Hamilton 6 Drawer Media Chest - Warm Brown Cherry - HM100TV
$624.00 | Hayneedle
Steve Silver Lamar Media Cabinet in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Liberty Furniture Laurelwood 5 Drawer Chest in Chestnut Finish
Beyond Stores