1 inch vs. 4 inch media

mike_homeMarch 14, 2009

I have started getting quotes to replace my furnaces and condensers. I am looking at the Carrier Infinity ICS variable speed furnace with the Infinity 17 condenser. My set up is two zone for a two story house (2 independent furnaces/condsensers).

The first company suggested going with a 1 inch media filter. Other companies are saying they always use a 4 inch media. The last company is saying the Carrier filter compartment can hold either a 1 inch or 4 inch filter.

Here are my questions:

Would I be making a mistake going with a 1 inch filter?

I realize the 1 inch will create greater static pressure, but won't the Infinity controller compensate for this?

Does the Infinity furnace come with the 4 inch media box?

If it does, why would an installer bother to create a duct to house a 1 inch filter?

I understand the 4 inch filter may require a yearly change versus a 3-4 time change with a 1 inch. Will the cost of the filters be about the same?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veesubotee

I believe that the Carrier filters are proprietary and a bit pricey.

Their filter housings MAY be an option. If you're not tied into it, I would opt for a 4" filter such as an Aprilaire or other. The replacements are available from numerous sources and there are generic equivalents, if you are so inclined.

V

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboymo

I bent the tabs in on my filter holder so it would hold a 4" filter instead of just a 1". I think it gives a bunch more surface area of filter media which should help lower the static pressure. I could hear it build suction as I slid the new 1" filters in place when new and it was horrible after a month and no one here smokes and we don't burn candles. I slid the 4" filter in and could barely hear any change in the air noise. I still do not see waiting a year to change it like the wrap said, that is nuts. I think 4 months is a good interval and go from there.
If you can make a 4" filter fit I would sure do it, especially if the filter media is pleated.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™