(hopefully) a simple tile question

tansunnyDecember 10, 2011

About this time last year, we refinished our hardwood floors and had new tile put in by the front door (used to be slate...at least from the 1970's maybe earlier....house was built in '57).

Anyhow, the tile is right next to the wood floors. Most of it seems pretty secure, except right where the tile meets the hardwood the grout cracks and breaks away. The guy who did our tile explained this would happen because wood is going to expand and contract, I guess we're just a little surprised about how quickly it is happening.

Is there anything we can do to minimize this? Any sealant or anything like that? As I say, the rest of the tile and grout is in fine condition.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

They make a sanded or unsanded caulk that matches your grout. you cant tell the difference and that is what should have been used at the wood.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 11:07PM
weedyacres

Yes: caulk, not grout, should be used at changes in plane and at changes in material.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 8:08AM
tansunny

Aha! I suspsected as much.

What brand name should I be looking for? Or is it sold in by the same companies that make the grout? It sounds like a simple enough do-it-yourself project for my husband once I get my hands on the grout.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 2:47PM
weedyacres

You can buy any caulk you want. But if you want it to match the grout, look for sanded caulk in the same color as the grout, made by the manufacturer of the grout.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™