Different brand Furnace and AC?

MikeAtlMarch 20, 2012

Hi, we have an upstairs system with 5 year old Lennox furnace (nice one, two speed fan and burner) and an 18 year old Reem AC. The AC is still running OK, but are considering proactive replacement.

Basic question. We want to keep the furnace as it is nearly new, but replace the AC. Is there any reason to get a Lennox AC unit? Or can a Carrier work OK with a Lennox furnace.

One contractor (sells Carrier) said it would be no problem, but we would be limited to an analog control system and it would require some sort of control board added to the Lennox furnace. We are awaiting a quote.

We have another contractor coming today that offers Lennox. I'm sure he will recommend Lennox AC, but I thought I'd check this forum.

We live in Atlanta, so AC is important. We are staying in the house, so I'd prefer better quality/higher efficiency.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

It makes the most sense to put together a matched Lennox system. Since the furnace is only 5 years old, the contractor should be able to find the matching coil and condenser. It not he may be able to find an equivalent matching set with a newer model. It would still be better than trying to fit another brand of equipment.

Don't let the Lennox equipment sway your opinion of the contractor. You have to feel confident the contractor will do a good installation regardless of the brand.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Geothermal in new construction.
Our house is currently under construction, and while...
bethmcg
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Satterfield Walnut 5' 3" x 7' 5"
$99.00 | Home Depot
Coalesse | Enea Café Stool with Wood Seat
YLiving.com
Walnut Montmartre Arm Chair in Turquoise
$184.99 | Dot & Bo
48" Cambria Cast Iron Roll-Top Clawfoot Tub
Signature Hardware
Mesa Blue Bronze Mini Pendant
$279.00 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group GLA-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$320.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™