Quiet window AC for bedrooms

egnycMarch 19, 2013

I need to purchase two window AC units for bedrooms. My top concern is that they be as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

Panasonic, hands down the quietest. Mine are quite old , but by far a lot quieter than the newer unit. I can't speak for cost, but their bath fans a virtually silent and are a little more money than the box store offerings.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:21PM
brice1

Panasonic used to be the quietest but they got out of the window AC business years ago. Sharp AFS60RX and Frigidaire FRA065AT7 have the best noise specs of current models (48db). How it is installed matters too. You will want to seal the window tight and lots of people drill a hole in the pan to allow the condensate to drain off and eliminate the swishing sounds.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:53AM
mrhvac

Check the ratings on the major sites like sears, lowes, homedepot and amazon. Don't make a decision based on just db's. Anything within 10db's or so is not all that noticeable. You may want to place more priority on sizing and features. Also be careful if you decide to drill the pan. In many cases this is not necessary as the manufacturer has designed a means of draining already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portable AC Reviews

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
can people share their weekly propane use and square footage, please?
With the coldest weather in roughly 20 years here,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Can a house and cottage share a condenser?
I have a house (1000sf) and cottage (440sf) with about...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™