Felt Glides for furniture

pai325December 5, 2012

I am having engineered hardwood installed next week in the kitchen, dining room, and living room. My daughter has felt pads from Wal-Mart on the bottom of her furniture, and it seems they come off after a week and the furniture scrapes anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to put on the bottom of the furniture? The bookcase and TV stand and china cabinet won't be moving anywhere much, so I don't think that will be a problem. But the kitchen and dining room chairs, and the recliner and loveseat might move a lot. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindy Noll

We installed hardwood in June & my dining chairs and such have the felt stick on pads. So far I haven't had any come off. I dislike them because dog hair sticks to the small exposed glue, no matter that I sweep everyday. That said, it does protect my floors. I used other felt pads that get hammered in on some new end tables and they won't come off. Couldn't use them on other things, because I could not get the plastic things off the chair legs.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 8:26AM
gregmills_gw

Ive boughten some felt pads in the past that have done this. A little glue on the pad will help.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 2:23PM
forboystoo

Mine didn't stick either..
I did pick-up something like the attached (nail on)
but I have not used them yet because my floors are not done :(

I got them at Home Depot.
They also make self leveling and swivel types.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Felt-Guard-Pads-and-Slides/?cfilters[]=material=Felt&cfilters[]=features=Nail-On

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:25PM
glennsfc

The Shepherd Hardware ones in the pic with the rivets, rather than the nail ones, are the better choice. These are the type as manufactured as "SafeGlides" by Glitsa. The rivet is permanently embedded in the nylon body and cannot easily be dislodged in use, and the felt is over 1/8" thick. Once the felt wears down to the nylon body, they should be replaced. Felt glides are inexpensive and can help prevent damage to surface flooring.

I have yet to see the swivel type, but if they are anything like the nylon ones that Armstrong used to make...with felt added, then they would be excellent. We used to install the Armstrong floor protectors and then add self-adhesive felt pads to them for maximum protection.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 6:40PM
restor4u

Try the new GlideGuys Glides. Easy to install, tilt.swivel and roll like a horizontal caster. Bases interchange for hardwood and carpet. www.GlideGuys.com

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:52AM
glennsfc

Clever invention.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™